Lounger
    Thanks

Need help with Spybot error in Windows log

Hi: I posted on the Safer Networking Spybot forum first, but no reply, so I thought maybe someone could help me here...

Stats:
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
    Spybot 1.6.2 (not fully immunized -- just what shows up on its own)
    I use Firefox and not IE.

I am getting this semi-frequent error in my Windows logs:

Log Name: Application
    Source: SideBySide
    Date: 8/27/2012 2:29:06 PM
    Event ID: 63
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: *********
    Description:
    Activation context generation failed for "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll".Error in manifest or policy file "c:\program files (x86)\spybot - search & destroy\DelZip179.dll" on line 8. The value "*" of attribute "language" in element "assemblyIdentity" is invalid.

And this is happening when the Spybot program isn't even open.

What does this error mean, and why is it occurring even when Spybot is not running or even open?

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    What have you done so far to fix this?

1. Uninstall the program and clean leftovers with a registry cleaning program, then boot and attempt to reinstall Spybot.
    2. Continue to wait for a response from Spybot forums.
    3. Google search for those with similar sidebyside errors with Spybot.

Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I did this awhile back, but not with a registry cleaning program (not confident using one of those), and their uninstall procedure here implies cleaning the registry is not needed, that it removes cleaning if you delete the folder for it as well:
    http://www.safer-networking.org/faq/how-to-uninstall/
    It did not change anything.

2. Still waiting (but see #3 below).

3. Did this, and found this thread:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?t=53962&page=2
    ...which talks of a corrupted file. However, the last post (which was back in 2011) makes an interesting point that it is probably widespread and there is no response as to what's going on with that error, etc. Odd that this was never responded to.

Also found this:
    http://www.sevenforums.com/software/...de-errors.html
    ...which is way above my head, but seems these errors are common with a lot of programs and may be related to some MS Update in the past (?).

So, yes, I've done some stuff to find out on my own. But because the research I found is hazy and above my head, I posted here for help. Thanks. (I have some other weird log errors as well, that I guess I'll post a separate thread about...?)

Thanks
    Is it possible Spybot S&D relies on MS Virtual C++ or some version of .NET Framework above Version 3? I've removed all C++ and .NET frameworks from my add/remove programs.

FYI, I am running Windows 7 x64 Premium.
    That is probably not a good idea to remove any of those MS updates you mention above, especially in light of your current issues.
    It is possible that Spybot, and a great many other programs as well, rely indirectly on these.

These are updates that are already integrated into Windows 7, unlike XP when you could actually avoid .Netframe if no program dependancies exist.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I didn't actually remove any MS updates, as far as I know. I had just removed the programs in Add/Remove programs awhile back. Of course, it would probably have removed any updates associated with the programs themselves? (And, again, it's done. I did this awhile back, believing it was okay on some advice.)

I don't get why, if they're integrated into Windows 7, why it would let you easily remove them in Add/Remove programs like any other program?

Have I totally screwed up something here?

(And thanks for sticking with me on this!)
    Last edited by WindowsWasher; 2012-08-31 at 21:01. Reason: Added thanks.

Thanks
    I don't know why the MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable is in the programs and features section of the control panal as an uninstallable item.

Lounger
    Thanks
    It sounds like the Spybot thing is probably because I don't have the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package needed for it anymore.

1. How do I find out which one I need? (I did post over there asking.)

2. Also, how do I find out which one is needed for Windows Defender, if that is also the reason that doesn't start up (as described in my previous post)? UPDATE: Looks like Windows Defender doesn't run because Microsoft Security Essentials keeps it from starting -- you're actually not supposed to have them both running, and it's suggested to use MSE instead of Defender (but Defender is part of Windows 7 and can't be uninstalled). Info here.

3. And does installing Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages after the fact (meaning, after you have the programs that need them already installed and had removed the packages previously) cause any issues? (I can't uninstall/reinstall Windows Defender, if that's the case, because it's not actually listed in Add/Remove Programs -- it just seems to be part of Windows itself, listed in Control Panel - as I described above).

Looks like I definitely need more help!

Thanks!
    Last edited by WindowsWasher; 2012-09-01 at 14:15. Reason: Solved #2 myself...

Thanks
    To get any required C++ redistributables, uninstall Spybot (preferably with Revo uninstall) and then reinstall it.

erry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    To get any required C++ redistributables, uninstall Spybot (preferably with Revo uninstall) and then reinstall it.
    Thanks for the reply! I had uninstalled Spybot and reinstalled (though not with Revo uninstall), and it didn't really do anything. But I can try it again. So if I download Revo uninstall from here: http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_..._download.html ...that will be a safe version that doesn't come with any ads or any other stuff you wouldn't want? (I noticed that downloading it from Cnet adds in some kind of ad installer thing or something.) Or is it better to get it from Softpedia? (The official site and Softpedia seem to have the same downloadable .exe.)

And does this program call home or anything like that? Or is it totally unobtrusive?

And then I just open this program and find Spybot in it and choose uninstall with it (instead of using Add/Remove Programs in Windows or the Spybot uninstaller that's also provided in my Spybot folder)?

Thanks
    Is Spybot working? If it is and the reinstall didn't reinstall any C++ redistributeables, you don't need them.

I din't notice any ad installer whenIdownloaded it from Cnet as long as you are careful about unchecking any boxes that want you to install additional software or toolbars. . If you have any qualms, just download it from Softpedia. As you noted, its the same file.

Once you install Revo, you call it up to do the uninstall. Once you tell it to uninstall a program, it will invoke the Windows uninstall and wait for it to finish, it will search the registry and file folders for any leftovers related to the program.

Jerry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

WindowsWasher (2012-09-07)