Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Canon/Microsoft driver incompatibilty driving me nuts!

I’m running Win XP Pro with SP3, using a Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse on a PS2 port with the latest Intellipoint software (v. 7.1, I think).

I recently purchased a Canon MG6220 printer, which I installed on a USB port. This replaced my previous printer (an Epson Stylus Color 850).

Now I get the an error message when I turn the printer on (see attachment).
    When this happens, I cannot close the message, which sits on top of everything else on the screen. Also, this freezes some functions on the computer. Only a forced shutdown and re-start removes it, but it comes back each time the printer is on.

While I’m not sure exactly what this message means, I’ve identified the problem as a conflict between the printer driver and the Intellipoint software. I’ve confirmed this by uninstalling the Intellipoint software and running the mouse using the standard Windows driver. This eliminated the problem. I also replaced the Microsoft mouse and Intellipoint software with a Logitech mouse and Setpoint software, and again no problems.

Canon tech support says that they have no other reports of incompatibilities with their drivers, and that since this is an Exception Error, it’s a Microsoft problem (taken straight from the Finger-Pointing 101 text book).

While I seem to have worked around the problem by using a Logitech mouse and software, I’m wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem? I know that the incompatibility is real (despite Canon’s comments), and I’d like know whether it’s caused by something in my system configuration.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LesF; 2012-09-01 at 00:45.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you completely uninstall all the Epson drivers & software? Have you tried uninstalling both the Canon printer & the mouse and then re-installing the printer 1st? Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-09-30)

Thanks
    I have read of Intellipoint S/W causing unexplained problems in the past, but not since XP. Since you have an XP system this could be the problem. I would first try Joe's suggestion, and if that does not work, use the Logitech mouse or the MS mouse with basic drivers.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I did uninstall both the Epson printer driver and status monitor, and my HP scanner driver (since the new printer also has scanning capabilities). I don't know how complete the uninstall was (I used the standard uninstall programs), but I did a search for remaining files/folders and deleted them. I did not, however, search the registry for remnants. Perhaps I'll do that next. I also uninstalled and re-installed the Canon software (while on the phone with Canon tech support), but I never re-installed the Intellipoint software.

Medico, I have experienced conflicts with Intellipoint software before. When I first installed my Logitech keyboard, which uses Setpoint software for some of its features, many of my mouse functions (MS ,mouse with Intellipoint software) stopped working. I uninstalled the Setpoint software (the keyboard still worked, without the bells and whistles), and mouse functions returned. I reported the conflict to Logitech, and the problem was fixed with the next release of Setpoint.
    As far as I'm concerned, the Intellipoint software already has 2 strikes against it.
    As for my current issue, I am using the Logitech mouse and Setpoint software (the same software that also drives my keyboard). But I like the MS mouse better, and would prefer to get the conflict resolved. I don't know who to contact at MS with this problem.

Thank you both for your replies.

Thanks
    I have the Logitech Anywhere MK mouse and it's great. I do use the Setpoint S/W as well. I have had a couple of different mice in the past that used intellipoint. I did have various undiagnosed problems that I can not swear were the S/W, but once I finally switched to a different brand of mouse the problems disappeared.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-09-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed on the snapshot you included, the title is Windows - No Disk
    So something is looking for disk information
    Start over by uninstalling anything Intellipoint or what ever software the mouse you like to use
    If you have the disk, you might need to install the software before actually connecting the mouse
    From what I can make of it at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/258785 the software should be installed/downloaded before the mouse is physically connected.
    You could also download the driver for the mouse version and burn it to CD
    Maybe the, instead of reporting No Disk, maybe you will be asked to use the disk to complete(?) the install
    I hope this helps.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-09-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for that info, Medico. I just checked that model online, and it's a wireless mouse. My preference is a simple 3-button (counting the wheel/button) wheelmouse, either PS2 or USB. I have no need for a wireless mouse. The mouse I'm now using is the Logitech M110. It meets my requirements, but it's very light (feels cheap, which it is), and the buttons don't feel good (very little tactile feel on the L/R buttons, and too much on the wheel button). It also feels different than my MS mouse, nothing I can actually put my finger on, but enough of a different response to notice. I would buy a different Logitech or other mouse that meets my requirements (including programmable buttons), but I don't know which one to get yet. For now, I'll stay away from Intellipoint.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy, thanks for your reply. Let me clarify my concern. I've been using this MS mouse with the Intellipoint software for years, without any problems (except the conflict with Logitech Setpoint for my keyboard, which I described above, and which was quickly resolved). I installed the Intellipoint software from my hard drive, after downloading it from MS; there was no other disk involved. I have never received this type of error message until I installed the printer driver, and, as you suggested, I uninstalled that driver and "started over", with Canon tech support "looking over my shoulder". The problem persisted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Did you try why I suggested earlier. Uninstall everything having to do with the printer and mouse. It seems as though there is some shared file that is installed by the Intellipoint software that conflicts with the Canon printer. Install the printer first. Make sure it is working OK. Then install the Intellipoint software. Test both. Usually, with USB devices you should start the software install BEFORE plugging in the device. At some point during the install the program will request that the device be attached. Joe

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-09-30)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How have JoeP517 recommendations turned out?

Have you tried a different USB port or checked out Device Manager for "warning" signs?

Maybe event viewer can be helpful
    Have the mouse you want to use installed and working with the printer off
    Turn the printer on
    Go into event viewer (I'm not sure which category to select but experiment) and see if you can find a code & description of the issue
    --- I don't know if there is a description for a driver conflict but who knows

I Googled driver conflicts but I can't determine what would help you but maybe you can try that

15. The Following User Says Thank You to cmptrgy For This Useful Post:

LesF (2012-09-30)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I did everything you suggested except search for registry remnants (plan to do that today) and re-installing the Intellipoint software (see my reply to your post above). I did indeed install the printer software first, then connected the printer. Right now, I've got a working machine with the Logitech mouse and software, and I need it to complete some work before my vacation, so I'm going to hold off re-installing Intellipoint until that's done.

cmptrgy, I have not tried a different USB port for the printer. The printer is now using the port previously occupied by my old HP scanner (yes, I also removed the Scanjet drivers), and both appear to have worked properly on this port. The micw (both MS and Logitech), used a USB/PS2 adapter, plugged into a PS2 mouse port. I have not tried either of the mice directly into a USB port. Device Manager shows everything to be functioning properly, but it did the same when the Intellipoint software and MS mouse were installed.

Thank you both for your help. I will continue with your suggestions as soon as I can.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It sure looks like you are on top of the situation
    I hope you will check out the event viewer idea
    I did look up IRQ conflicts. I can't say why it might apply but maybe Canon has a thing about PS2 connections and includes whatever PS2 would normally use
    Have a good vacation.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    cmptrgy, well, ALMOST on top of the situation - I could learn to spell "mice" correctly!
    Since I last wrote, I did manage to do a more thorough cleaning of the registry (by judiciously using CCleaner); there were several references to my old Epson printer and HP Scanner left behind, but nothing remaining of the Intellipoint software. Also did a thorough virus and malware scan on the machine, and it came up clean. I'll try to install the Intellipoint again, but don't know if I have time to get to it before I leave.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, again. Well, I'm back from vacation and I've done some experimenting. Here's what I did.

First, I setup my laptop to print with my new printer wirelessly. Since my new printer was already connected to my network, this involved installing the Canon printer software on my laptop, and finding the printer on the net (installation software did this automatically and flawlessly). My laptop was configured similarly to my desktop, that is, it was using a Microsoft mouse with Intellipoint software (same mouse, same OS, same Intellipoint version as my desktop). I did NOT have Logitech Setpoint software installed, since I didn't have a Logitech mouse, and of course I didn't have a Logitech keyboard either. Net result is that everything played nicely together. The takeaway from this was that there was no conflict between the Canon software and the Intellipoint software.

So, armed with this info, back to my desktop to try a few things. First, I uninstalled the Logitech mouse drivers, and replaced the Logitech mouse with the Microsoft mouse. The Logitech Setpoint software was still installed, as it was being used with my Logitech keyboard,and when I checked the Logitech Setpoint Settings tab under in Mouse control panel, it was properly showing the keyboard tab, and the Logitech Mouse tab was no longer available. So far, so good. Then I installed the Intellipoint software. I noticed that certain button functions that had previously worked with my Microsoft mouse no longer did. A check of the mouse drivers (which should have been the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers) indicated that although I had attempted to uninstall the Logitech mouse drivers, and Setpoint was no longer shown as active for the mouse, the drivers were STILL the Logitech drivers. I couldn't get rid of them, even after several attempts at uninstalling them. They were obviously conflicting with the Intellipoint software.

A spirited discussion with Logitech tech support confirmed that they were aware of conflicts between Setpoint and Intellipoint, and that the only way to get rid of the Logitech mouse drivers was to completely uninstall Setpoint (which meant that I was losing some of the bells and whistles on my Logitech keyboard). I did this, and re-installed Intellipoint, the Microsoft mouse worked perfectly, and so far no conflicts with my Canon software. I will continue to use my Logitech keyboard without the bells and whistles that Setpoint provided (because it's an illuminated keyboard, which is why I bought it in the first place), and keep my Microsoft mouse (which is superior to the Logitech mouse, at least for me). It will be a long time before I ever allow Setpoint software on my computer again. And shame on Logitech for knowing about this conflict with Intellipoint for many months (if not years) and not fixing it.

And, again, thank you all for your help and suggestions.
    Last edited by LesF; 2012-09-28 at 14:23.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for posting your outcome. The best thing about posting back is that it helps us to be aware of the issues you mentioned if we ever want to allow Sepoint software

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast