Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy W-8 funny stuff.

Greets, Rui.

Back home after one month away and the vine and the edge are showing it. Lots of work to do, keeps me in shape.
    I was wondering if you or any other mage here would know if Surf Ace will be released in Canada along with the US on the 26th Oct ? I am quite keen on getting one and have already budgeted for this expense.

Getting back on W-8 takes another curve, I was on W-7 for the last bunch of days. I have one small gripe here, when selecting Shutdown on the Power tile, at times, it does not shut off the machine completely, the LED to the power button on the box stays lit.

Also, here I have a panel on that box that has slots for 4 small cards, CF is the one that I use mainly. Often enough, when I shut down, it says that there is no card in G, H, I or J. I hit a Continue button 4 times and the shutdown keeps on for a short spell and again, in a simile DOS screen, I get to click on a "Continue" button. Would you happen to know what is going on ?

Hoping that all is fine with you. Jean.

Note : I had this in a non-proper spot, deleted it and redid it here. Sorry.

Thanks
    JP, I have not heard officially if Win 8 Surface RT will be released in Canada same day as US. Remember this is the RT edition (ARM powered) not the Win 8 Surface Pro edition. That's the version I am interested in reading more about. The Surface RT will not run the full Win 8, but the RT edition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    WinRT surface will be less powerful and there is no compatibility with existing Windows apps. It's the Windows on ARM variant. Better battery life, probably lighter, direct would be iPad competitor. Doesn't look too attractive right now, to be honest, Jean.

Thanks
    I agree Rui, the Surface RT just looks too underpowered for real work. JP you might be better off waiting a few months for the Surface Pro which will run the whole Won 8 Pro OS. Plus the Surface Pro will have a faster CPU, more Ram, larger SSD HD, USB 3, Etc., Etc., Etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Rui & Medico, thanks both for your replies.
    As I was away for 5 weeks, I just randomly studied this subject, thus my first question. Surface Pro will undoubtedly be a first choice as it will be more capable, so will the cost, I presume. I will eagerly wait and see what comes up. Anything to supersede the iPad will be my choice.
    What do you have to say for my other questions ?
    Have a great day. Jean.
    Last edited by handcuff36; 2012-09-02 at 08:26.

Thanks
    JP, See if this helps:

1. Press Win+R , type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box or open Device Manager in Control Panel

2. Under Disk drives tree, right click on USB mass storage devices and select Disable.

3. Exit Device Manager. Again try to shut down, it should work now.

I found this in another Forum. Since I do not have this problem, I cannot check to see if it works. This seems to be a work around for a bug in Win 8 RP that seems to be fixed in the RTM code.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-02 at 13:13.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IMO, you should not pre-judge what capabilities for "real work" exist in WinRT. You have to define what "real work" means. If it means running Office programs then you MAY be incorrect. An Office 2013 RT preview will be installed. NO ONE, outside of Microsoft and a few testers bound by an NDA, knows what the functionality will be. Given the manner in which these devices operate the hardware specs are not likely to be indicative of what work can be done. PC users are used to much higher specs that are not needed by tablet like devices. Joe

Thanks
    I'm sorry Joe, but I just cannot see a business user or Power User using an ARM device for their every day PC needs. Perhaps as an adjunct device, but even that would be questionable IMO. As with an iPad type device, I consider these devices as "play things" and IMO they are and should be used for that. Since I do not presently have one of these devices I am not an expert at them.

My daughter does have an iPad 3 (I think that is the latest one) and she uses it for games and displaying pictures, etc. She cannot use it in her career profession as an architect. She can and has used her laptop. Her husband can and has used their desktop (he is also an architect) but both agree the iPad is impractical as a work device in their careers.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-02 at 15:23.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico, thanks again for a come-back.

1. Press Win+R , type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box or open Device Manager in Control Panel
    2. Under Disk drives tree, right click on USB mass storage devices and select Disable.
    3. Exit Device Manager. Again try to shut down, it should work now.

These should work as I found that if I clicked on the "Remove Device" on the taskbar, there is no stump when shutting down. There were none in XP, Vista or Win-7. I found it awkward in W-8 and mentioned it here. Your solution is a bit longer than mine, both will do right.

I also consider an iPad as a toy. No way can one use a printer with it or if there is, nobody does. Great minds always think alike !

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    @Ted, you are probably correct for a profession such as architecture. That is by far a slim minority of potential users. There are plenty of people who do not need that kind of computing power. I'm just saying don't pre-judge and make blanket statements. The WinRT usefulness will depend more on applications than the hardware specifications. Joe

Thanks
    That is true Joe. From what I have read about it (few hands on tests) the Win RT architecture (sorry for the architecture reference) will not be able to run most desktop (legacy) apps, which I would think would leave it out of many business uses. It will definitely depend on what types of apps are written for Win RT.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Also, the Office on RT review posted here is less than glowing.

Jerry

Banned Member
    Thanks
    "Surface" will run the Windows RT operating system and use an ARM CPU. "Surface Pro" will run the Windows 8 Pro operating system and use an Intel CPU.[3][4] The display is a 10.6-inch, 16:9 widescreen HD Display (Surface), or Full HD Display (Surface Pro).

Specs & Features of the 2 models/versions:
    http://www.microsoft.com/global/surf...especsheet.pdf

Which one?:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/26010..._you_want.html

Personally, I'd (only) want the Pro & it, really, seems kewl!! This fellow is quite keen on it, too... http://www.zdnet.com/lenovo-exec-pra...et-7000003638/

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg