Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

FileHippo Problem

FileHippo Screenshot.png

I have used the FileHippo program for a very long time to check for program updates, but today it does not get past the point shown in the attached screenshot.

If anyone can tell me how to sort this out I would be grateful.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2012-09-01 at 18:55. Reason: Message somehow omitted
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Hi Roy,

I use the portable version. It could be your Firewall blocking it.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Roy. It is entirely possible fileHippo.com had a problem. Check today. I just checked mine from my desktop installed Update Checker and it is working fine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Roderunner and Ted, thanks.

My avast internet security program firewall is not blocking FileHippo.I tried running the standalone version but got the same result as before.

I noticed on the FH update checker download page that the program required Net Framework 2 to be installed, although FH worked with no problem without it until yesterday. I downloaded and ran Net Framework 2 SP1 but installation failed. The setup window said loading installation components, but at the same time another window opened saying "You must use "Turn Windows features on or off" in Control Panel to install or configure Net Framework 2 SP1". Clicking ok on this window shut down both windows but there was no reference to Net Framework 2 in Windows features.

I then tried installing Net Framework 2 -KB2518864 x86 but was told "no product addressed by this software update is installed on this computer. Click cancel to exit setup".

I really don't understand what is causing the FileHippo problem. As I said originally it has worked without any problem on my computer for a very long time, with no mention of Net Framework 2 being required.

Any other ideas?

Please advise further.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

Jerry

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, thanks but I already tried that and it made no difference.

Roy Whitethread

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I am pleased to say that I finally got FileHippo to work again. I tried System Restore, choosing a date prior to the problem arising, but that didn't work, and I had to reinstall various programs as a result, although I was prepared for that, and then restored my C drive to a suitable date using my Macrium Reflect rescue cd, but that didn't work either. Finally I discovered that JRE update 5, which I thought I had previously uninstalled, was still on my system. I uninstalled the update and FileHippo then worked.

As a by the way, as a result of the various warnings about JRE update 7 being exploitable I have disabled it via Internet Explorer's Manage addons option, and also via the Java applet in Control Panel. If you go to Advanced the Internet Explorer option is grayed out, but if you hit the space bar the Internet Explorer option is then unchecked.

Regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Glad you found the problem. Heck I uninstalled Java all together on our PC's. Have not missed it. Problem would be if you have an app or website that uses Java. I do not. The app will tell you if Java is needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy