5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer Not Appearing in Devices & Printers

I setup a Dell Inspiron desktop for some friends this weekend, running Win7 Home Premium 32-bit. They have an HP Laserjet 4 Plus, which was connected to their old XP PC with a parallel cable. I installed an SIIG parallel and serial port card in the Inspiron, so they could keep using the Laserjet. When I tried to install the printer, it won't show up in Control Panel|Devices & Printers. I ran the install again, and Windows asked if I wanted to use the already installed driver. I said Yes, and then it said the printer would be named Copy 1. I tried a couple more times, and now I'm up to Copy 3, and the printer STILL won't show up. If I open a program like MS Word, the printer is showing. I'm baffled. How can I fix this?

Thanks
    Did you by any chance go to HP and download the proper drivers for the OS?

I would uninstall/remove all installed printers from the Devices and Printers list, uninstall all installed drivers. Delete everything related to the original HP installation and start over with the Win 7 32 Bit drivers provided on the HP site.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    Did you by any chance go to HP and download the proper drivers for the OS?

I would uninstall/remove all installed printers from the Devices and Printers list, uninstall all installed drivers. Delete everything related to the original HP installation and start over with the Win 7 32 Bit drivers provided on the HP site.
    Nope, I just used the one Windows showed me during the install. I'll give your idea a try this week.

Thanks
    Does the printer show up as one of the choices when you do a File > Print in a windows 7 application?
    Does it show up in Print Management? (Click on the start orb and type print, click on print management in the results)

If it shows up in print management, double click on it toget to printer properties. Click on ports and make sure its set to the proper LPT port. (Open device manager, expand com and LPT to see which LPT port was assigne by the SIIG driver)

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, when I did File|Print in MS Word, the printer shows up as the default printer. I'll have to look in Print Management when I go back to the location this week. When I first installed it, I did find out that the SIIG card had set itself as LPT3, so I changed that to LPT1.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JJ,

I have seen problems like this if Bluetooth Support Service was not running (have NO idea why this is necessary).

Zig