Lounger
    Thanks

Using Acronis True Image Home 2010 for the First Time

I just got my Windows 7 computer from Best Buy, loaded with almost all of the software I need for a while. I would like to make my first Acronis image of my C:\ drive (containing all programs, incuding Windows)---there's nothing on my D:\drive yet because I haven't created any data. Then I'll tweak the programs so that they are set up the way I want them for my work and do a second image after that. Before either of those images, though, I understand I should make a bootable rescue disk.

I downloaded Acronis' user's manual to see how/what I should do first. (I have Acronis True Image Home 2010---I havent checked what version yet. (As a side question, I've been told that v. 7046 is the best. Does anyone know where I could update to that version, if it's not what I have now? I looked around online, but all I could find were updates for latest version.)

Anyway, could someone spell out for me what I need to do, and in what order? What kind of rescue/boot disk should I make? The user manual mentioned several and, frankly, I'm confused. Then I do a full backup/image?

Thanks
    I don't use Acronis myself, but many here do. Medico uses Aconis and is well versed. He should chime in here soon, and give you some excellent pointers.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    I presently have True Image Home 2013 installed, so I am going a little by memory here. You might already have update build 7046. When you open Acronis you can check for the version number. I believe the original Acronis 2010 was build 7046.

First there are 2 Step by Step instructions for v 2010 and 2011. Take a look at them both. These 2 versions are very similar.

Yes you NEED the Rescue Boot Disk. In the Tools and Utility section you will find Acronis Media Builder. Use this to burn a Rescue CD. Very Important. If your OS will not boot you will NEED this CD to boot to Acronis to restore from.

I store my Images onto an Ext. USB HD. Some people use a separate partition but if the HD dies so does your Image!

After you have made your Rescue Boot Disk, TRY IT OUT. Boot to it and go to Acronis.

In Win 7 with Acronis installed there are 2 methods to create Images. I use Method 2:

Method One: Open Acronis from within Windows. Under What would you like to do? choose Back Up My Disks. You will have to identify what partition you wish to Image, where you wish to store your Image and the name to assign to the Image (Use a descriptive name and always choose to Add Date). You will then proceed.

Method Two: Start the process shown in Method One from the Rescue Boot Media instead of within Windows.

All the various steps are discussed in the linked threads. Sorry about the screen shots. These were made during the old Lounge and did not transfer to the new Lounge as well as I had hoped.

As a side note, when you make your data partition, using the approved method you can move your Favorites, pictures, music, My Documents, WLM Store Folder as well as app data to the data partition. Using this method changes all the pointers in the OS partition to the data partition. This way when you have to restore your OS, the data will not be touched. Do this before creating your second Image.

I hope this chime was quick enough. I was away from the Lounge for a while. I know I'm supposed to be here 26 hours per day. What can I say, Sorry!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the details, Medico. I am buried in work, so might not even get started on this until tomorrow, hopefully.

Regarding making a bootable rescue disk, the user manual mentions three differnt kinds--- Linux, BartPE, and WinPE. Which would you recommend I make?

I do have an external USB hard drive for storing my images.

While I'm asking questions, will I be able to use Acronis to just backup or copy certain files located at various places on the HD? Is there a way to list all the files and folders to copy and then be able to use that list repeatedly, without having to point to each file or folder that needs to be backed up/copied? Or do I need to do that with a differnt backup program or, as I've been doing, manually copy (which is time-consuming and risks forgetting something) each file/folder?

Thanks
    Hi EmiLee,

I use Acronis 2010 and only do 'One Click' back-ups which is a 'Systembackup'. All done to separate folders, named as the back-up date.
    e.g. if I intend testing a program, I do a back-up first, then if its to be removed, I do a 'Restore'. This is one of two ways to remove a program completely & safely, without damaging my pc's registry. The other way is clean install.
    Back-ups & Restores are done within Windows as recommended by Acronis.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by EmiLee View Post
    Thanks for the details, Medico. I am buried in work, so might not even get started on this until tomorrow, hopefully.

Regarding making a bootable rescue disk, the user manual mentions three differnt kinds--- Linux, BartPE, and WinPE. Which would you recommend I make?
    When you run the Rescue Media builder just do the default disk. That's what I did and still use, well until I upgraded to Acronis TIH 2013 about a week ago. I have been using Acronis TIH 2010 and 2011 for a couple of years. I just made whatever the default media was for both and it works marvelously.

The reason people use 3rd party apps is because they have more features than the built in Win 7 apps. Although I do not use that section of Acronis, yes you can do incremental and specific file backup.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I promised my child a trip to the library, but when I get back I'm going in ... time to start up the new computer and see what I've got. I'm sure more questions will follow. I certainly appreciate your patience in answering my questions.

I'm a bit nervous, because this is the first computer that I've ever let someone else install the programs and now I'll have to work with what they've done. I tried to outline the set up as recommended by several people here, but you never know what you'll find ... either way, I'm more excited than nervous to try out the computer and see what it can do.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been reading this post about Acronis as I'm thinking of using it for the external hard drive I'm finally setting up. Want to check out free programs in the Lounge as well. Just went to Acronis site and saw that 2013 version is what is offered.

Question: should I download and use it or try for the 2010 or 2011 versions which Ted - and EmiLee - are using successfully?

I'll hold off on going any further until I hear back - and I don't expect that to be instantly, Ted! After all, my hard drive set up has been pending for a long time, witness thread http://windowssecrets.com/forums/sho...rd-drive/page4!!

Thanks,

Linda
    Last edited by IreneLinda; 2012-09-07 at 11:37.

Thanks
    I have upgraded to V2013 and actually like it better than either of the others. The UI seems cleaner. Also V2013 can see and access Images made with 2010 or 2011. I hope this helps in your decision.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. Well, what I've decided is to give the Macrium Free a try first to get started. Loungers seems pretty evenly divided on it and Acronis. Appreciate the feedback on the versions.

Linda