Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lightbulb Windows 8: Windows Mail running in Windows 8 instead of Metro Mail app

There has been a lot of discussion here and other places about a mail program in and for Windows 8 and whether a mail program that worked similar to Outlook Express (which became Windows Mail in Vista) would work in Windows 8. I was over at SevenForums just now getting the revised tutorial for putting Windows Mail (an updated Outlook Express) into Windows 7 so I could send it to someone when I stumbled across a post saying someone had figured out a way to get Windows Mail (not "live" mail) to work in Windows 8. The link to t he page of the thread is here: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...-mail-125.html and the poster is nicknamed Endeavor. You will have to read beyond his post to learn more about it. Also, though, his post contains a link to EightForums where he discusses it further: http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-...ndows-8-a.html. I don't have Windows 8 to try it with, but some folks here may want to jump on this and see if they can make it work for them (unless of course Windows 8 has changed in some way since January that makes it impossible to do this).

The thread in SevenForums goes on for more than a hundred pages, and it does include both the original tutorial (early in the thread) and the revised original tutorial for putting Windows Mail in Windows 7.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    What are the advantages of using the ancient mail program from Vista in the brand new OS over Windows 8 Mail or Outlook or Outlook.com?

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    What are the advantages of using the ancient mail program from Vista in the brand new OS over Windows 8 Mail or Outlook or Outlook.com?

Bruce
    Bruce, as you know, there are many of us who don't like Outlook and aren't interested in webmail no matter what name it has. I'm not going to start the mail wars all over again. Suffice to say there are many thousands of us who used Outlook Express for years and years, who knew enough to break mail folders into folders holding 5000 messages or less so that the mail program doesn't break, and who are/were miserable with Windows Live Mail due to its not having features we loved, used, and needed in our work and daily email.

You and many others may *love* the newer mail programs or webmail and good for you if that's the case. You can denigrate Windows Mail by calling it "ancient" if you like - have fun doing it - but I'm not going to bite on it and start a rant on why so many vastly prefer OE or Windows Mail. It has been ranted over time and again by me and many others, so no point in repeating it.

Lack of the type of email program so many of us prefer in Windows 8 is enough to keep a lot of people from wanting it on their desktop or laptop. News that you may be able to get the kind of email program you want on Windows 8 may very well change the minds of many who now say they will never get Windows 8 or only get it very reluctantly. And THAT is important, or should be, to those who are promoting, pushing, and loving Windows 8 because it would bring more people to the group that wants and is able to use Windows 8. So therefore, cracks about it being "ancient" are not useful to Windows 8 lovers who want to see more people use it.

Kelliann

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kelliann1 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-10-25)

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I just asked what the advantages were. What features do you love that you can't get anywhere else?

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just asked what the advantages were. What features do you love that you can't get anywhere else?

Bruce
    I've posted on this many times over on the mail message board, Bruce. We are on a Windows 8 board so will not repeat here.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    I've posted on this many times over on the mail message board, Bruce. We are on a Windows 8 board so will not repeat here.
    That means you've posted here how to do something but not why someone might want to do so. I think most people will be as confused about that as I am.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    That means you've posted here how to do something but not why someone might want to do so. I think most people will be as confused about that as I am.

Bruce
    Not really, Bruce. The population interested in trying it already knows they are interested and why and for them, knowing of the possible availability of WM in Win 8 could switch them into being willing to give Windows 8 a try. The rest don't care, IMO, and will go with whatever mail app or webmail is presented. I am pretty sure you've read threads ad nauseum on why people loved OE and WM and hated WLM and did not care for Outlook. If not, please go visit the non-outlook mail message board where you will see everything you want and need to see on the subject. Sorry to not get into what you want to read here, but this is simply the wrong message board for a feature comparison of email programs, apps, webmail (as you know). I am sure you can understand that.

Thanks
    By any chance have you tried WLM 2012. Just asking. Don't want to get into a lengthy discussion on Win Mail versus WLM.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Outlook Express

When my wife's computer crashed, I upgraded it from Vista to Windows 7 Release Candidate and later, after general availability, to the RTM version. She liked everything about Windows 7 except losing Windows Mail/Outlook Express. She had Office 2010, so she had Outlook, but she really hated that. She has also looked at Windows Live Mail, and I am not going to stir the pot by asking her what she didn't like about that, so you will just have to take my word that she didn't like it.

She finally let me install Thunderbird. She has never liked it as well as Windows Mail/Outlook Express, but she has been using it since before General availability of Windows 7 and has stopped complaining about it.

I am thinking about installing the Windows Mail program on a Windows 7 computer to see if my wife likes it, but she was so mad for so long when Microsoft took it away that I'm not sure I want to reopen the subject.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I am pretty sure you've read threads ad nauseum on why people loved OE and WM and hated WLM and did not care for Outlook.
    I haven't.

If not, please go visit the non-outlook mail message board where you will see everything you want and need to see on the subject.
    I've tried. What should I look for there, and why do you have to make this so difficult?

Sorry to not get into what you want to read here, but this is simply the wrong message board for a feature comparison of email programs, apps, webmail (as you know). I am sure you can understand that.
    I don't understand at all why this is the place for HOW to use Windows Mail in Windows 8 but not WHY.

Bruce

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    By any chance have you tried WLM 2012. Just asking. Don't want to get into a lengthy discussion on Win Mail versus WLM.
    Yes, 5 months, really determined, committed try, but gave up. Learning it was not available in Windows 8 made me turn away from the idea of even trying it. What I learned at 1 a.m. this morning, that it can be done, made me think differently about Windows 8 and increased my interest in it, made it not out of the realm of possibility.

Thanks
    It could not have been WLM 2012 since it was just recently released. You may have been using WLM 2011.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    It could not have been WLM 2012 since it was just recently released. You may have been using WLM 2011.
    Medico -
    Correct, I was. I still have it on this computer - WLM 2011. It runs fine alongside Windows Mail. I can have both open, online, and in use at the same time.

Kelliann

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't.

I've tried. What should I look for there, and why do you have to make this so difficult?

I don't understand at all why this is the place for HOW to use Windows Mail in Windows 8 but not WHY.

Bruce
    Hey, Bruce - just for you I went over to the non-outlook mail message board and just now posted a thread with a collection of my reasons on it. I am sure someone will read it and blast me for "disliking change" and tell me to "get over it," that "WM, and WLM are dead so forget about them," and all that jazz. It's a tempting target <g>. Oh well. :-/

Kelliann

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kelliann1 For This Useful Post:

mrjimphelps (2012-10-25)

Thanks
    I would like to add that, while I do not consider what you have done to violate any EULA, copying licensed software from one OS to another, even if you have licenses to both OSes, is getting pretty sketchy from a copyright point of view. Again, this particular application seems OK with me, but others like it may not be so legitimate.

I see no copyright or EULA problem with the methods put forth in this thread.

But like BruceR, I am still a bit mystified as to why anyone would need to go to this much trouble just to preserve the look and feel of Windows Live Mail, which Microsoft says they are going to kill off. Kind of like people are clinging to Live Mesh, when that platform is also a Microsoft Dead End. Or people still trying to eliminate the Office Ribbon, or restore the Windows 8 Start Menu.

I have to say, this does read like resistance to change.

Having posted this opinion, I guess I'd better put on my Pummeling Helmet.
    Last edited by bobprimak; 2012-09-08 at 06:07.
    -- Bob Primak --

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast