New Lounger
    Thanks

Local area connection doesnt have valid IP configuration

I suddenly lost internet connectivity on a Windows 7 computer with a wired connection two days ago.  Several others computers are able to connect via  both wired and wireless connections, all through the same router.  There is a Netgear ethernet switch between the computer with the problem and the router. A second computer computer that connects through the same Netgear switch is able to connect to the internet. So I think I've isolated the problem to the computer in question.

On the Network and Sharing Center window it shows that it is connected to an "unidentified" public network.  Its not seeing the home/private network that the other computers are connecting through, and "network discovery" is not finding the home/private network. Typing 192.168.1.1 results in a "Can't establish a connection to the server at 192.168.1.1 message.

Things I've tried:

1. Moving the cable to different ports on the switch.
    2. Trying a different cable.
    3. Deleting the Ethernet card in Device Manage then rebooting. & Device Manager says the device is working properly.
    4. Ipconfig release, etc. Also dns  and winsock reset.
    5. Setting a static IP address and DNS. Though I was unable to find default gateway settings when I ran ipconfig /all.

I checked google for a solution but so far have found nothing that has worked.

I use the built in Windows 7 firewall.

Any thoughts?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,114 Times in 1,026 Posts
    What IP is being assigned to the computer?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    169.254.14.183 (Preferred)

Administrator
    Thanks
    That means no actual IP is being obtained from the DHCP server. When you used the fixed IP, did you set the value for the default gateway, too? Your text made me think you didn't. Can you please confirm?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I set it to 192.168.1.1 which was the value I got from checking ipconfig /all on a different computer

Administrator
    Thanks
    Have you tried turning off the Windows firewall? Have you tried connecting this computer to a switch port that you are sure is working (one that was used successfully by the other computer)?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes to both.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I suppose you don't have another network adapter that you could use for testing. be that an ethernet card or a wireless card?
    It seems to be that, as you correctly put it, the problem is specific to that computer. Now it remains to be determined whether it is software related or hardware related. If you had additional hardware, that could be determined...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't. I presume a wireless USB adapter would work?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, a wireless USB adapter could work, even if it wouldn't allow a definitive definition of the situation regarding the existing adapter.

The existing adapter, is it embedded in the motherboard or is it installed in an expansion slot?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Motherboard.

Administrator
    Thanks
    That means it can't be removed to test it elsewhere. Does any of the other computers have an adapter that could be temporarily removed?
    Also, considering this happened 2 days ago, where there any software changes (patches, new drivers, new apps) added then?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    No adapters on any of my computers. I tried System Restore but that didn't help. Maybe I can roll back the last Windows updates and see if that fixes the problem.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yep, I would do that. If that doesn't work, I would presume the network adapter to be the culprit. Would probably try to get another adapter, either wired or wireless, to test it on your computer.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I'll try to get my hands on one tomorrow.