Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Dual Boot Option Missing-Now Cannot Boot Win 8 RP

Until this morning, at startup I had the option to boot Win7, Win 8 RP or Macrium Reflect Rescue CD.

I booted into Win 8 RP and updated 2 programs ( AnyDVD and Avast Internet Security) and needed to reboot. Booting into Win 8 RP failed-I did not have time to see all the message that came up but it was something to do with "SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION".I then tried several times to use my Win 8 RP DVD to repair my system, on one occasion being told the disk was invalid, on one that the drive on which the OS is installed was locked, and on the other occasions the various options all referred to Win 7.

The startup options to boot into Win 8 or Macrium have vanished.

I have a Macrium image of Win 8 but if I try to restore it presumably it will overwrite my Win 7 installation on drive C. When I boot to Win 7 the image for Win 8 is on Partition I, which becomes drive C in Win 8.

URGENT advice as to how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and regards, Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2012-09-03 at 22:27. Reason: Spelling
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    I would boot into Win 7 and check the Disk Manager to see if the Win 8 partition can be seen. If you can see both partitions, then go ahead and attempt to restore Win 8. During the restore you should be given the option where to restore your Win 8 RP to. Point to the Win 8 partition.

I would also make a complete Image of the Win 7 partition before you start.

Is your only Image stored on the internal HD? This is very risky. What happens if the HD itself dies. You loose the OS's and the Images. If you are going to store Images on an Int. HD, always make a second Image external to the PC. I use an Ext. USB HD for this purpose.

Also when I create Images or Restore Images I boot to my Rescue Disk and use this Ext disk for this chore. In this manner you are working outside of Windows. I do not use Macrium Reflect so I cannot specifically discuss this, but in Acronis this procedure works very well.

If you can see both partitions (or disks), Win 7 and Win 8, then when you Restore you should be able to Restore to the Win 8 partition and not touch your Win 7 partition. In my case, my Image files include both Win 7 and Win 8. When I restore, I have the option of which OS I want to restore, and then where to restore it to.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, thanks as always for the helpful advice and information.

My system images are divided over 2 external hard drives.

Before I saw your reply I decided to reinstall Win 8 RP on the same partition as it was on originally.

All my drives can be seen in Win 8. All are Simple, Basic, NTFS, Primary Partitions.

My only immediate concern is that in Disk Management the C drive is marked as Boot, Page File and Crash Dump and the D drive is marked as System and Active. I thought Windows always made the C drive the System drive. Should I reverse the labels of these drives?

An early reply would be appreciated, as I am reluctant to start customizing Win 8 and reinstalling programs in the meantime.

Thanks and best regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Windows always sets the Active Drive (the drive you are presently booted to) to C Drive. In my system when I boot to Win 8, Win 8 is C, Win 7 is D and Data Drive is E. When I boot to Win 7, Win 7 is C, Data is D and Win 8 is E. (Win 7 and Data were already present when I partitioned C into 2 separate drives to load a 2nd OS.)

The drive that says Boot generally contains the MBR.

BootedWin8RP.jpgbootWIn 7.jpg

DiskManager.jpg
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-04 at 13:46.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Take a look at this:

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/win...064&s_cid=e064

It's not exactly on point, but it covers a lot of the information that you need.