New Lounger
    Thanks

Unhappy Vista to 7 home upgrade issues

My wife's computer, running Vista, was running erratically and driving her the up the wall. I have for two years been telling her that the major problem was Vista and let me upgrade the computer to Windows 7. This weekend she agreed so I performed the upgrade with no apparent issues. While checking the system out I discovered that when in Firefox the number row of keys on the keyboard would not work but they work fine in other applications. The keyboard worked fine on my PC. I tried to remove and reinstall Firefox and I got another problem in that it and other non-Microsoft applications would not launch from the desktop giving me an "No such interface supported" error statement. Guessing that the registry was fouled up causing the non-Microsoft applications from launching, I downloaded WinZipRegistryOptimizer.com but you probably are ahead of me in that it would not launch giving me the "No such interface error." How do I get around this roadblock? I'm in the doghouse by taking her barely functional computer and making it a mostly non-functional computer.

Dennis Foulke

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Check the post here. Someone used CCleaner and got it fixed. Maybe it can be of use.

Thanks
    Hi Dennis,

WSL.JPG

Doing an upgrade install from one OS to another is not recommended. Doing a clean install prevents any problems.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    I was going to say what RR did but then read his post. I always do a clean install as this gives me a more pristine installation. It sounds as though she was having problems with her Vista installation. Doing an upgrade can cause this problems to move forward to the new OS, or cause different problems that were not in the original OS. I am not surprised things are not working correctly.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Many people upgrade without issues. I have done it in the past. I would have done it with Windows 8, had I not changed from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS.

In place upgrades exist for a reason. Many users wouldn't upgrade if it were not for that.

Thanks
    But in this case the OP states the PC was not working correctly to start: "My wife's computer, running Vista, was running erratically and driving her the up the wall." In my experience the Upgrade is hit or miss, especially with a suspect OS to start. This OP is a prime example of this IMO. New and very unexpected problems have cropped up. Weird hard to explain or T/S problems. These are the type of things that cause corruption in Upgrades.

I suspect in your case, your installations were running very well with no "erratic" operation when you upgraded.

Yes the vast majority of people changing to a newer OS simply Upgrade the old OS, but most of these people are satisfied with things not working properly, or perhaps have no idea how things should be working, and hence do not post in forums to solve these "erratic" problems. Probably most of these people have no idea these Forums even exist.

In my experience far fewer unexplained or unexpected problems crop up with Custom (Clean) installs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Many clean installs have issues themselves. My Windows 8 install is giving me a problem I never had with upgrade installs. You simply never know how it is going to turn out.

To be honest, I am highly suspicious of the widespread claims of upgrade issues, as i never faced them. What's more, I could even understand if there were problems associated with specific apps, but never OS level issues, as it seems to happen in this specific situation.

I would say that repair installs are a good counter argument to the proclaimed issues with upgrades. Supposedly, most of the registry is rebuilt (the part that doesn't have to do with installed software) and many problems are solved that way. If that is the case, why wouldn't the same be possible with an upgrade? Just doesn't make sense, sorry.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Did you check win 7 compatibility for your computer system?
    I know there are some computer manufactures who's hardware won't play nice with Win7 as there are no compatable hardware drivers for it for some systems
    Check your computer manufacturers support site and see if they have drivers for win7 available for your system.
    If so it may be in your best interest to update your drivers as the win7 disk probably didn't have them on it and the vista drivers from the original install a may be incompatible
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by Kampsk; 2012-09-13 at 19:55.