New Lounger
    Thanks

Win 7 Backup Restore function corrupted or missing

The Backup Restore function on my Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit system does nothing when I attempt to open/use it. I understand it is a normal feature of Windows 7, not an option during installation. This is
    occurring after uninstalling Acronis 2012. My suspicion as a moderately literate user, is that uninstalling
    Acronis has somehow left something in the registry unrestored preventing the user interface from coming
    up, but I actually have no idea. Oddly enough when I connect my external hard drive (by USB), then right
    click on properties one option in the list is "Use this drive to backup Windows". Selecting that results in Windows creating what appears to be the backup, like part of the normal user interface. That is useless since I couldn't use it for anything without the Windows function, at least for restoring Windows. How can this be fixed or reinstalled? I have a copy of Fred Langa's "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall" but doing that seems extreme for correcting just one function that may have a simple registry error.

Please help if you can, and thank you in advance.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dancer,

This (loss of Win 7 Backup functionality) is a well-known problem with Acronis uninstalls. You should be able to find a fix for in in the Acronis user forums (note the sheer volume of complaints while you're there).

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you. I'm not surprised after the experience I had with it and them on two different computers. Their tech support in
    India is totally useless!

Thanks
    This might be something to do with Acronis 2012 only. I have Acronis 2010 and 2011 and recently updated to V 2013 and do not see this problem. I skipped over 2012.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico,

No, I'm sure it was there in 2010-2011.

Zig

Thanks
    I have removed Acronis on my PC and did not see this phenomena. Perhaps I did not try Win 7 backup and restore afterward. I do not like the Win 7 offering anyway and have upgraded to the latest Acronis offering. Love it! The Win 7 offering is so basic it does not allow many of the features that are available in Acronis, like single file restoration, incremental backup, etc. Others have reported problems when trying to make subsequent Images with Win 7 built in app.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Medico,

I agree that the built-in Win 7 backup is sorely limited in funcionality, and I agree that a 3rd party solution is preferable. I had heard good things about Acronis thru 2009 and gave it a try with the 2010 version (incl. build 7046). I found that many of the "bells & whistles" that add to the cost of Acronis didn't work at all, or added unnecessarily to the complexity, so I stopped using it. I note that (seemingly) the majority of users here who like Acronis are doing manual "plain vanilla" backups, either full or incremental, but usually with manual cleanup of obsolete backups, and perhaps not using scheduled backups. I find this inhibits good backup practices (for me, at least), and have changed to EaseUS Todo backup v.4.0.0.2 (last of the full-featured free versions), which does just about all that I want (though if I get a UEFI Mobo, I might have to look at Macrium, which also seems to have good customer satisfaction, if I read the forum correctly). (Will wait a few months to see what the Acronis 2013 experience is.)

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-09-05 at 15:25.

Thanks
    I just read that Macrium Reflect only supports GPT disks with the Professional and Enterprise editions, not the free edition. With a UEFI Mobo your disks might very well be GPT.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Right, I was thinking Professional (in the future).

Zig