5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using and understanding SMART hard-drive tools

LANGALIST PLUS

Using and understanding SMART hard-drive tools

By Fred Langa

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology (SMART) can help save your data from an impending hard-drive failure. But you need the right software to see and interpret the SMART warnings most hard drives provide. Fortunately, there's free software to help.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/langalist-plus/using-and-understanding-smart-hard-drive-tools/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

Thanks
    A few more utilities not mentioned in the article:

Hard Disk Sentinel v4.10
    This one is free and usefull, but will require a fee for unlocking other "advanced" features.

CrystalDiskInfo5_0_4-en

Some information here on the specific SMART attributes. Many others here.

Thanks
    Western Digital and Seagate also have their own hard drive diagnostics tools, which also include SMART parameters, available for download from their web sites: (Since the software may differ a bit by model, these sites ask you to select your drive model before offering the free downloads.)

Western Digital

Seagate
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    If you think you have a drive that is going bad you will definitely want to go to the drive manufacturer's website and download their
    diagnostic tool, especially if your in a position to take advantage of an RMA.

Quite often each drive manufacturer will have their own specific SMART attribute parameters set into the drive itself.
    If the specific drive manufacturer's diagnostic tool indicates an impending failure, your chances of a successful RMA will be improved.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    Hard Disk Sentinel v4.10
    This one is free and usefull, but will require a fee for unlocking other "advanced" features.
    Good tip. +1 for HDSentinel from me. Originally got this when a drive started to play up. Tried the WD program but it was unpleasant to use and wouldn't work with my other drive, a different brand. I've since purchased a copy of HDSentinel because it was so useful in my work but there is no requirement to do so.

As an aside, one surprise from HDSentinel is that it alerted me to the high temperature in a Seagate external drive, which was well above Seagate's own design standard for their drive! I removed the shiny black plastic surround and now use it "naked" and it keeps 20 degrees C cooler. Probably did the warranty in, but these things never fail inside warranty period anyway, right?