Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hotmail 550 Error

I don't use Hotmail and I know only a few who do.
    But when sending an email to a friend on Hotmail a couple of days ago, I received a 550 error message:

Action: failed Status: 5.0.0 Remote-MTA: dns; mx2.hotmail.com Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable

I have read about this type of problem before, some years ago, but have never been concerned to find out what it was all about. It appears to be a temporary problem, in that when I resent an email this morning it seems to have gone through OK. But then a further message last evening failed to get through.

The recipient commented that someone else had mentioned being unable to send her an email last week. Unsurprisingly, this unreliability is not acceptable to her.

Unless anyone can come up with a reason for this problem and can suggest a fix we can use, I am inclined to suggest to this friend that she switches to perhaps Gmail instead of Hotmail.

David HS

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    It's not really special to Hotmail, as any email system can produce that response on occasions: What does "mailbox unavailable" mean?

Unless you're getting it every day, I think you should ignore it.

But recommend that she upgrades to Outlook.com.

Bruce

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, Bruce,
    While I am sure you are literally correct that any email system can produce this response, I do not see it day to day or for months on end when sending to a wide variety of addresses. I ran into this with hotmail several years ago but have not been sending to a hotmail address until this last week or so - and now it appears intermittently.

I am a touch sceptical about moving from one piece of Microsoft engineering to another. If they can't prevent this problem on hotmail, why should I believe they will do any better on outlook.com?

I am seeing the recipient tomorrow and will offer to look at her hotmail account to check for inbox full etc. Any other clues as to what she might inadvertently have done that may have precipitated this problem would be appreciated. I think she is not a large volume emailer, though I will ask about exceptionally large attachments etc.

Thanks
    David