Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bypassing Win 8 Password Request

I have just reinstalled Win 8 RP and Classic Shell. Whenever I boot Win 8 I have to enter my password before getting any further. I avoided having to do this with the original installation but can't remember how. Advice as to how to do this would be appreciated.
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    hit the windows key and type netplwiz

Press the ENTER key.

This command will load the Advanced User Accounts Control Panel applet.

2. In the Users tab, uncheck the box next to Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer.

3. Click on the Apply button at the bottom of the User Accounts window.

4. When the Automatically Log On dialog box appears, enter the user name you wish to automatically login to Windows with. Then enter your account password in the two fields where it's asked.

Click the OK button.

5. Click OK on the User Accounts window to complete the process

Don't know if this procedure works when you use the fancy new picture password.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-09-06)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot Jerry. I had been given the same instructions before but forgot them. I have now saved them in a text file.
    OS Triple Boot Win 7 Pro 64 Bit-SP1 with IE11, Win 8.1 Pro 64 Bit with IE11 & Windows 10 TP (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post

Don't know if this procedure works when you use the fancy new picture password.
    It does Jerry. Use netplwiz and enter a text password when specifying the account to automatically log into: exactly the same as for a traditional password.

Windows 8 is more cloud-connected than previous Microsoft OS's. So, although it is perfectly reasonable to override the requirement to enter a password, it needs to be done with a bit more awareness of the risks than was the case with Windows 7 for example.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Thanks Tinto. Does entering a password here replace the picture password or do you wind up with both text and picture passwords? Also, don't you bypass the cloud features if you use a local login rather than a microsoft account?

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It gives you the option of either if or when you re-enable password login. It also gives you the option of either if you lock the screen for example through screensaver. So the account is not without a password, just enabled for automatic login.

Switching to a local account does indeed disconnect the cloud features, but an important observation is that enabling automatic login via the above method does not change a cloud account to local.

Thanks
    Switching to a local account does indeed disconnect the cloud features, but an important observation is that enabling automatic login via the above method does not change a cloud account to local
    But assigning a local account password and using it here should disable cloud features. I did that with my laptop and Sky drive complained after boot.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    But assigning a local account password and using it here should disable cloud features. I did that with my laptop and Sky drive complained after boot.

Jerry
    Yes, that's right.

Come retail release in October, I'll be recommending that users switch to a local account if they disable the requirement to enter a password at login.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Tinto, how do I switch to a local account, and if I do so should I use the same password as I have been using to log in to Win 8?

Are there any disadvantages to switching to a local account?

Roy Whitethread

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    To use a local account go to PC Settings, then Users and under your account name you can switch to a local account.

To get to PC settings you can go via the charms bar (push the mouse to the bottom right corner), or if you use Classic Shell you can drop into Control Panel>User Accounts and select Make changes to Accounts using PC Settings. This will take you directly to the Users section of PC Settings.

Should you use the same password? The technically correct answer is no, you should use unique passwords for all accounts. But in reality, if your password is not compromised, suitably complex and not re-used where somebody could discover or disclose it, then you may feel the risk is low enough. The majority of people reuse passwords very frequently for their online accounts.

The disadvantages of using a local account in Windows 8 are than any online (known as cloud-connected) apps or services may not work. When logging in using the Microsoft Account these integrated services are enabled. Think, accessing the App Store, Sky Drive, Outlook.com (or Hotmail/Live) email via the mail app and user data sync between more than one Microsoft Account connected device. Are they significant? My guess is that since you are on the Release Preview, these things might be nice to explore, but are not central to the use of the OS.

If security is your thing, go for a local account until you have explored the RP some more, especially if you skip the password requirement at login; then you can switch in and out of local/online account whenever the mood or need suits.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tinto Tech For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-09-06)

Thanks
    Roy, I have fallen in love with the Picture Password option. My wife and I have Win 8 on each of our laptops. Even though we are the only users of our laptops, I would never consider having our laptops without passwords, whether using the Live log on or the local account. We also both sign onto our Live log on when we start Windows. I have hundreds of pictures on each laptop. We both use a landscape for both our lock screens and our password screen. When you set up the Picture Password, you create 3 gestures (these would be easy with touch enabled devices, but work well with a mouse as well), then use those 3 gestures to enter your password.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-09-06)

Thanks
    If you sign in to a local account and you want use a Microsoft cloud app, you can always sign into your Microsoft account afterwards. I did that with Skydrive as a test. My own personal preference is to use the Cloud as little as possible.

Jerry

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jerry, I followed the instructions in your post #2 but in the Automatically logon dialogue box I entered my own name as the user name I wish to automatically login to Windows with, instead of the user name I had been using. Now when I boot Win 8 I get the wrong user name dialogue box. I can get out of this and logon with my original user name and password, but I want to logon automatically. I tried the netplwiz method again and the " Users must enter a user name and password" box is unchecked, but the Apply box is grayed out and the Automatically logon dialogue window does not appear.

I would appreciate advice as to how to get out of this problem.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Roy Whitethread

Thanks
    Roy, run netplwiz and check the users must enter... box and click ok. Runnet plwiz again, highlight the account you want to automatically log into and clear the users must enter... box and click ok. Leave the user name alone and just fill in the password. You can't supply a new username in netplwiz.

Jerry

18. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-09-07)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    [SIZE=7]Jerry, sincere thanks. It worked like a charm.

Best regards, Roy

Roy Whitethread

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast