Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How Windows 8 backup differs from Windows 7

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

catilley1092 (2012-10-09),ruirib (2012-09-08)

Thanks
    Very good info. I would think the 3rd party Imaging folks would be happy about this. It appears whole disk Images can only be accomplished with 3rd party apps. Data backups appear to be easy to accomplish and automatic with File History. Will bear some further examination.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    The Windows 8 solution is a means of backup that I have little or no use of.
    I can easily envision myself turning or curtailing those features in favor of my way of doing things.

Thanks
    Its ideal for some people though. I have a lawyer client that I talked into getting a portable hard drive for daily backup. Couldn't talk him into any imaging software. he backed up for a couple of days and then quit. a couple of weeks a go, his hard drive completely died and he lost everything. he claimed he could recover what he lost from paper copies that his secretary could retype. Installed a new hard drive and I still can't talk him into backing up regularly even though his secretary keeps pushing it. The Windows 8 File history would be ideal for him. It would continually back up his data as long as he kept it in Libraries. Images are nice, but data backup is king. As long as the data is backed up, you can usually recover everything as long as you have the install media. It just takes longer. Catastrophic failures are rare.

Jerry

Thanks
    One of these days, one way or another, if your not backing up your data properly your going to pay for it.
    It's just a matter of time for you when negative reinforcement rules the day.
    I see this Windows 8 method as catering to n00bs, but that's OK, those of us with our tried and true methods
    will still be able to practice them without any difficulty whatsoever.

Thanks
    Out of interest do all the Win8 versions have the ability to backup to network drives? Win 7 is a pain as home doesn't allow it (I believe Vista home did). I haven't played Win8 yet - I think I'll wait until all the shouting dies down (it's great, no it's not, yes it is etc.!)

Thanks
    Not sure about Win 8 RT or Standard Win 8. Win 8 Pro and Win 8 Enterprise do. I do all my data backups to other PC's on the network at this time, whereas my Images are backed up to an Ext. USB HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Medico, I think access-md is referring to File History's ability to backup to a Network drive. I believe you use a third party program to back up with. File History does support network backup in RP and I believe all versions of Windows 8 except maybe RT do. It does not support Cloud backup like SkyDrive.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

access-mdb (2012-09-08)

Thanks
    I was referring to the data backups in this case. Yes I use a 3rd party app for Imaging, but for data backups I do backup through conventional drag and drop methods to other PC's on my network. The thought is that all 3 PC's will not fail simultaneously. There is always that chance that this could happed (fire), but that is a small possibility. I also have made Images of the entire HD's including the data partitions. Using these Images might mean my data is a few weeks out of date, but no more than that.

The File History ability might make the data backups more regular, but like Clint, my present system works well for me. I would have to see a system that works better in order to convince me to change.

Also, Win 8 RP is equivalent to the Pro version of Win 8 in capability. I do not know personally if Win 8 RT or Standard Win 8 (non-pro version) will have this ability. I know personally the Win 8 Pro and Win 8 Enterprise editions do. I suspect they all will have but do not know that for certain.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Medico, I wouldn't presume to suggest you change your backup strategies and agree they are superior to File History. It just that many of my clients eyes just glaze over when I try to explain imaging and wouldn't do any backup on a regular basis if it had to be done manually. File history is ideal for these cases since it requires no user intervention and backs up the most critical files - user data if the system is set up properly with all user data in Libraries. Everything else can be manually recovered in the event of a catastrophic failure in most cases.

Jerry

Thanks
    I guess I was not clear, I agree that this system is preferable to no system, and that I am using network drives to back up my data. I just do not know if File History is available for all versions of Win 8. I suspect it will be.

My method of backing up data, as I stated, does require manual doing something and like you say this will not work for many people. Many people have not a clue why you need to back up anything, have not a clue what Imaging is. Fortunately many of these people do not have large amount of data to be backed up, but even a little irreplaceable data has to be backed up, unless you don't care whether you loose it or not.

I have not actually tried File History yet. I seem to always find something else to do before trying this. Perhaps this is because in my needs, the priorities of checking File History is relatively low.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    I have windows 8 installed on my laptop that does not have any critical data. I manually make images once a week of the whole hard drive on my main PC (Data and Programs) so File History wouldn't add anything for me either. I enabled it to backup to a Flash drive and I don't notice it is running except once in awhile the flash drive lights up when it is doing a backup. Its very unobtrusive and is ideal for those who can't bring themselves to do regular backups. I did do a file restore once and it was a simple operation.

Jerry

Thanks
    That does sound interesting. I have minimal back up needs, but doing this automatically might be interesting. The only drawback for me is ensuring the networked drives are actually on when the backups would need to be done.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The only drawback for me is ensuring the networked drives are actually on when the backups would need to be done.
    Medico note these items from http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2...e-history.aspx

Dedicated storage device disconnected – File History detects that the storage device is not present and starts caching versions of changed files on a system drive.
    Dedicated storage device re-connected – in the next cycle, File History detects that the storage device was reconnected, flushes all versions from the local cache to the external drive and resumes normal operation.

Jerry

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

Medico (2012-09-09)

Thanks
    Jerry, Thanks for that info. I guess I will have to look more closely at File History. I may just wait to start until after Win 8 Pro is released.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast