Banned Member
    Thanks

Thumbs up What's so great about Windows8?

A wee anecdote (w/ a moral):

Now, to approach this in my own way & maybe, hopefully put a message across...

People often ask me, what's so special about Windows8. OR, "I can't see any reason to want it over what I have" OR "that damned UI & those blasted APPs" OR why is it any better than 7 or my (please don't take it away from me) XP, etc, etc, etc.

I have oft said Win8 is cool because it does things (for you) all by itself & w/out adding software or bothering w/ install discs; there are many examples of this. For the moment my story focuses on one in particular. This is a commonplace thing that countless people want to do everyday.

I have a Nokia cel phone (brand not, really, critical, here). It takes photos. I want to take those from that device to my PC to save and or share. As stated, something that applies to countless folks, these days. In Windows7 I downloaded, installed (& Updated) Nokia Suite, the phone got connected, recognised & so on... a whole process to be able to grab photos from the device.

Now, we come to Windows8. Did not have to lift a finger... 8 did everything, instantly, all by itself. All I did was connected the phone via USB to the computer. Windows8, Johnny-on-the-spot, installed "the Device". No (Nokia) phone program or software installed had been installed (nor ever needed to be). Went to Windows Live Photos... phone showed but, it found no photos, hmmmm. Windows Media Player sees the device but, that only send files TO the device. However, what about one of those 'ridiculous' APPs?? There's a Windows8 Photos APP. Hmmmm... Connect the phone, Clk Photos APP & voila, immediately, there's all the photos in the phone on the screen. Check ALL or the ones wanted, @ that moment, @ the bottom of the screen is a 'box' showing a dated folder to which, the selected shots will go and an Import button. Wham, bam, thank you ma'am, it is DONE.

Point is to see & know that Win8 does have some cool things going for it. It does make doing things quick & EASY and all by itself, natively. This is not, was not the case w/ previous Windows Operating Systems. So, anyway, the above is just one of many things that come to mind when someone asks, "What's so great about Windows8?"

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg

Thanks
    I have never used most of the Modern Apps. It's nice to see one which does what you would expect of a modern era app. I have been using a couple of games we downloaded from the App Store. You all know how I like Free Cell. Well my wife got me hooked on Mahjong as well. Both these apps work very nicely with full screen graphics that kick the butt off the old Free Cell game. I hope these 2 at least remain free!

Unfortunately the Mail app still does not support POP mail. I can set up my Hotmail, Gmail and WS Mail (IMAP) but not my ISP mail (POP)

unfortunately also, it seems most of the apps I have seen so far are fairly basic. Hopefully this will improve with time.

By the way, the photos app did not do this with my Digital SLR (Nikon) camera. I had to use my old fashioned method of acquiring the photos. Not a big deal, but something of a disappointment. Worked the same as Win 7.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-07 at 10:13.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    It might also be possible for Windows 8 to help promote these apps in such a way as to help cut down on the
    bloat factor that many OEMs are doing nowadays with "regularly" installed software that demand exorbitant resources or startup exclusivity.
    The designing of these, formerly Metro, applications are supposed to be far more stringent in getting onto the windows 8 app store.
    That might actually be a good thing. We'll just have to wait and see how it works out.

I've stopped using ISP's email long ago in favor of a web based email client with an OS installed client, that it wouldn't matter to me if POP
    is not supported anymore. But I'm sure someone will come up with a means to rectify that.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-07 at 09:36.

Banned Member
    Thanks
    Ted,

@ the moment there are 3 APPs I wouldn't bother w/ @ all... Mail, IE & Maps. However, there are good alternatives (Office Outlook, WL Mail & Outlook.com), the regular IE browser & Bing maps. Although, very basic, there is an OK, free, Backgammon game, too. Anyway, some APPs are, actually, quite cool & yes this will likely become more so; some sure to same time, effort & fuss and adding or installing software. To summarize, I find Windows8 & some APPs smart & helpful.

Hmmm, one would think it would 'see' the camera, the same as it 'sees' a cel phone. Seems odd, eh?

Cheers,
    Drew
    new_windows_logo1.jpg
    Last edited by Drew1903; 2012-09-07 at 12:57.

Thanks
    It seemed odd to me as well. The same type folder is on a digital camera as a digital phone. When I get time I'll have to play a little.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy