Star Lounger
    Blue Mountains, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Word - PDFmaker - converting document properties

When I use PDFmaker, it is good at converting most of the document properties to the PDF. However, I always have to edit the Language in the PDF to comply with WCAG Accessibility requirements, although I have specified the Proofing Langauge. as English in Word. How cna I get it to add the language (English) to the relevant property in the PDF?

Thanks
    blue moses,

Try this.

Set the language to English in Word via a custom property. I don't know which version of Word you're using, but in 2003 and before, go to File > Document Properties > Custom tab. In Word 2010, click File > Info and in the panel on the right, click the down button next to Properties and choose Advanced Properties, then click the Custom tab. (I know it's similar in 2007, but don't have it handy to check.)

You should see a list of pre-defined custom properties. Scroll through the list until you find Language. Click on it. Then type English in the value box and click the Add button. Save your document. Create the pdf.

It worked for me. By the way, if you set the Language in your Normal template or any other templates you use to create documents, all documents created from that template will have the language property set. Or you can create a quick macro to set it when you need it.

Best, Kim

Added: I actually created my pdf from the pdf publishing process within Word, and it worked. I'll see if I get the same results from PDFMaker.

Added further: I find I can't test this after all. PDFMaker doesn't work properly in Office 2010 and the toolbar doesn't even appear on the Add-ins ribbon. (I always just print to pdf which, by the way, doesn't pick up the custom property.) If someone has Word 2003 and Acrobat, perhaps they will be kind enough to see if setting the language in the custom property will work with PDFMaker.
    Last edited by kmurdock; 2012-09-08 at 18:09. Reason: further clarification

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim and Blue Moses,

I'm very interested in a solution to this problem, too. I use Word 2007 and Acrobat 9 Pro. I added Language to a sample document's Properties as described above, and I tried making a PDF with the Acrobat add-in and then with the "save as PDF" command in the Office Button menu.

I checked the two PDFs with the Accessibility Check tool in Acrobat 9 Pro, which is an easy way to find out if your document needs its language property set.

Interesting results! Acrobat 9 does NOT pick up the language from the Word document's properties, but the "save as PDF" command worked.

I'm wondering if an upgrade to Acrobat 10 would fix this. I prefer using the Acrobat add-in to generate our PDFs because it allows me to bookmark additional styles.

Kay

(long-time lurker, first-time poster)

Thanks
    Hi Kay,

Welcome out of the shadows! According to Adobe, an upgrade to v10 is supposed to resolve this. I find this a bit irksome, as Adobe 9 is clearly not working as advertised, but Adobe's only solution is to purchase an upgrade.

Ah well. At least Word's PDF publish command does the trick.

Best, Kim