Thread: Hardware Crash

Lounger
    Thanks

Hardware Crash

I have run into a intermittent problem when I connect my Handspring Visor Deluxe to my PC via the Handspring cradle - it crashes my Win2K system! The system just resets and reboots. This has happened three times now, but other times it connects and hot-syncs just fine. This sounds like a hardware problem in either the cradle or in the USB port on my Dell OptiPlex GX110. Has this happened to anyone else? I don't want to buy a new cradle if the problem is in the PC. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hardware Crash

I've seen similar behavior when a static charge is grounded to the case of an ATX system. I have solved the problem the same way every time - put in a high quality power supply.

Seems to me that the plastic case of the Visor and the synthetic liner of it's storage case make an ad hoc Van DeGraaf generator. Try grounding the Visor contacts before putting it in its cradle.

Then again it could be a buggy USB driver. Is there an update on Dell's website?

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hardware Crash

I will try grounding it before connecting it. The Dell has a metal case, so maybe that will help. I checked the Dell Support site, and their does not appear to be any updates to the USB drivers. I found a BIOS update which I will install. Thanks for the suggestions.