New Lounger
    Thanks

Does Cloning carry over the Disk Errors ?

Have a Western Digital WD2500AAJS in 2 year old Dell Vostro 230. Replaced once under warranty. Dell Shipped me same model, and who woulda thought another failure.......NOT going to go WD again, even if I can get Dell or WD to ship me one.

I can boot into the old drive at this point. Purchased Seagate 500, partitioned it to two 250 gb drives. If I use Acronis to clone from the old failing drive to the newly installed partitioned one, will the disk errors follow? Seems to be sector errors, and after couple weeks of pampering and fiddling with disk repair functions, I don't have hope for the drive.

Windows 7 professional.

I do have recent copy of Windows backup files, just file copies and settings. I have older disk image,also Acronis, but I seem to miss the right way to restore the image while making the new disk bootable.............. just too tired to figure it all out. Appreciate any help and tips. tia

jim

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I would image it as it is, if nothing else, to keep the data in its current state. That said, it's likely that an image wouldn't complete.
    Have you tried running chdsk /R on the troubled disk? It would mark bad sectors as bad so they wouldn't be touched by other software.

If you image it, be sure to keep the existing older image, as well. To restore the older image, just create an acronis boot disk, which can be done from acronis and then just use the boot disk to boot the computer. Acronis will be loaded and you can then restore the image to the new disk. There is no need to do anything else to get the new disk to be bootable, just restore and the image and check the option to restore the MBR, in acronis, if that option is offered.

I would probably go with this last option - restore the older image and then restore the latest file and settings from your additional backup.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

jmm4908 (2012-09-08)

Thanks
    I agree, it's always a chance relying on an Image of a dying HD. The chdsk /R might help to stabilize the disk enough to create an Image, if nothing else than to backup your data. I would also try to back up the data separately, if you don't have an Ext HD, then perhaps to a flash drive to allow easy transfer to a new HD.

In my system I have separated the data to the second partition. Using the approved method, all Windows data folders can be easily moved and the pointers to that data changed within Windows so you can easily manipulate that data (add, delete and change, etc) to fit your needs
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

jmm4908 (2012-09-08)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks gentlemen.

I had performed the chkdsk /r previously. I have booted into failing disk, and used the WIN7 backup to make two file/data backups and burned to dvd yesterday. I used the WD acronis image made post previous failure to restore to new drive, but it will not make it bootable. I made sure to mark the boot sector 0 to be included. Did this twice. Then did reinstall, only then new drive bootable - but leaves me not able to use older image, as I have settings/files/data etc that I want to restore.

Next will go to the boot disk option. one try did reboot to perform the re-image. after that one, it would not boot the new partition,(missing bootcfg) even though the files were all present.

thought maybe I would have to go to bootrec.exe, as startup repair would not restore the boot sector. i did try bootcfg (?) for the win7 disk, from /boot directory, but it didn't work. I think the command was bootcfg /nt60 /mbr, but I cannot recall at this minute if the .exe was bootcfg, or boot???. Like I said, I seem to be missing one step, or piece.

jim

Thanks
    If you have the installation media (DVD) then booting to it and choosing Repair My Computer may be all you need. The couple times when I did something to screw up the MBR, it was fixed automatically my the Repair.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted. Strangely enough, the 'repair my computer' option also failed to work. It didn't 'see' the restored image files on the drive. It did not list it as a previous installation found - that display was just blank. I also thought Repair would work, but alas it did not bring joy. That is what drove me to investigate mbr rebuild/restore options. Seems I am durned if I do, and durned if I don't. But I will get it, I just do not want to reinstall everything.................. thanks for input.

jim

Thanks
    I have done the manual fix myself a couple of times. Your problem probably is partially a result of the failing HD not giving a good Image, who knows. It is often hard to determine what might happen when you change a few 1's and 0's.

I also hope you are able to fix the problem rather than having to reinstall, but at some point in time the law of diminishing return must come into play. Keep that in mind as you go forward. At some point in time if your efforts are not satisfactory, a reinstall may be in order. I know this in not optimal, but if a reinstall can be completed in a day and you spend several days trying to fix, when do you say enough is enough.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted