Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Home network password issue

I have 4 Win7 computers in my house, two of which are wireless notebooks and 1 notebook with XP. The internet and my Home Network can be accessed by all 5 machines.

My problem?? is this: After every startup, my Toshiba laptop asks for my network password when I want to access machines on my Home Network or get on the Internet. I can't find a setting to tell the machine to skip the password. My other two wireles machines don't ask for a password each time they're fired up.

Help would be very much appreciated.
    Emmitt

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Hello Emmitt and welcome.

Is the password that it's asking for the wireless key to connect onto the wireless network? If so, enter the wireless key and ensure that the remember this network and connect automatically boxes are ticked.

It may be necessary to refresh the adapter settings to do that, so from the Network Sharing Centre you could choose "manage wireless network connections" and "forget this network", following up with re-establishing the connection afresh, this time confirming the remember this network and connect automatically.

If it is not the wireless key that's being asked for, then the request for a password when connecting to the internal network and Internet is rather unusual. It could be caused by 3rd party security software, such as work-based firewall etc.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Usually happens when you share files on PCs with different versions of Windows. See if the answer given here helps:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...c-ca1aaf75dcd1

Jerry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

0sparkplugs (2012-09-08)

Thanks
    Hi Emmitt,
    You should have all your pc's password protected then do this Auto Log-On.docx unless their are more than one user.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

0sparkplugs (2012-09-08)

Thanks
    RR, he's asking about passwords to access network file shares, not PC logon. Automatic PC logon does not have any impact on this issue.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Well, after reading the last two suggestions and then reviewing OP's question, I'm now a bit confused.

I'm not sure if it is connected to a boot-up network resource connection problem {as per jwitalka}, an automatic login problem {as per roderunner}, or a network connection issue that I considered in my first post.

Quote Originally Posted by 0sparkplugs
    After every startup, my Toshiba laptop asks for my network password when I want to access machines on my Home Network or get on the Internet.
    My reading of the question was that it was connected to an inability to get to the local network and the Internet, but just the same it be taken to mean that it occurs at boot up regardless.

Emmitt, could you take a screen grab and show us the password request box? Could you clarify what happens if you do not enter the password - can you get to the internet, or to other machines for example?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    RR, he's asking about passwords to access network file shares, not PC logon. Automatic PC logon does not have any impact on this issue.

Jerry
    Hi Jerry,
    I had the same problem as Emmitt on my set up till I set up Auto Log On, it cured it for me.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinto Tech View Post
    Well, after reading the last two suggestions and then reviewing OP's question, I'm now a bit confused.

I'm not sure if it is connected to a boot-up network resource connection problem {as per jwitalka}, an automatic login problem {as per roderunner}, or a network connection issue that I considered in my first post.

My reading of the question was that it was connected to an inability to get to the local network and the Internet, but just the same it be taken to mean that it occurs at boot up regardless.

Emmitt, could you take a screen grab and show us the password request box? Could you clarify what happens if you do not enter the password - can you get to the internet, or to other machines for example?
    I interpreted it just as you did. Accessing the internet would rarely generate a request for a password, in most circumstances.

Lounger
    Thanks

Attachment attached

Attached is Screenshot of Securitky Key request. (I think) The process is new to me.

When I boot my Toshiba, it works fine except that I cannot see anyone on my Home Network, nor can I get on the internet. No access to either until I go thru the process of entering the Security Key as seen in the attachment. There is no opportunity to choose "Remember Me" or any such.

The XP machine that I mentioned is not included in my Home Network.

I appreciate all the suggestions and am pursuing each one with enthusiasm.

Emmitt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    OK, that looks like a wireless key that's being requested. It appears the original setup of that network was configured so that the key was not remembered.

You need to remove the network, then set it up again, this time ticking the boxes to remember the key and connect automatically.

There may be a quicker or easier method, but what I suggest is to go to Network and Sharing Centre, then to Manage Wireless Networks (in the left hand pane). From there select the network in the list that you are trying to connect to and delete it. OK your way back out and close Network and Sharing Centre. The Wireless network will be detected again and now you can enter the wireless key and select Remember this Network and Connect Automatically.

Thanks
    I think Tinto has nailed it. Sorry I misunderstood your original problem

Jerry

Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, the plot thickens...when I open Manage Wireless Networks, the attached screenshot is what I get. No networks listed at all. Yet, if I enter my network password when requested, I'm good for the internet or my home network until I shut down. Then, on Restart, I must enter password again.
    Just a little background
    My desktop machine, running Win7 Ultimate, connects to modem/router with cat 6 cable..Toshiba (the troubled one) is running Win7 Pro. I don't remember any wireless issues when I installed the Pro version a couple of months ago but I don't regularly use this machine and just recently realized that the password issue was popping up everly time I boot. By the way, in my desktop Ultimate machine, there is no "Manage Wireless Networks"..only Change adapter settings and Change advanced sharing settings.

Might I need to go thrul the Install a New Network process on my Toshiba?

I'm Emmitt and I'm also Stumped
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I have to say I've never come across that before. The machine is automatically asking for a key to a wireless network that is not listed as being known, yet it is not displaying a list of networks to select from. A few thoughts:

Is the wireless network that you run broadcasting its SSID? - Check on a different machine to see what that reports.

How was the wireless network setup in the first place? Is the wireless network being controlled by a Toshiba Application? I know some Toshiba laptops come loaded with many and various unnecessary apps - maybe one of these bloatware has taken control of the wireless function to the detriment of the Manage Wireless Networks app?

Just to confirm, if you enter the wireless key, then open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all , does this show a wireless network name and is the configuration of the wireless network similar to that shown on a good Windows 7 machine?

It's running Windows 7 Pro, so is this machine used for work too? If by chance it is, have the network settings been preconfigured by the IT guys there?

Lounger
    Thanks
    How was the wireless network setup in the first place? Is the wireless network being controlled by a Toshiba Application? I know some Toshiba laptops come loaded with many and various unnecessary apps - maybe one of these bloatware has taken control of the wireless function to the detriment of the Manage Wireless Networks app?

A. Toshiba came with Win7 Home. I formatted and did a clean install of Pro version.

Just to confirm, if you enter the wireless key, then open a command prompt and enter ipconfig /all , does this show a wireless network name and is the configuration of the wireless network similar to that shown on a good Windows 7 machine?

A. Both machines appear very similar.

It's running Windows 7 Pro, so is this machine used for work too? If by chance it is, have the network settings been preconfigured by the IT guys there?[/QUOTE]

A. None of my machines are "work" computers. All are personal home use.

I think I'm in over my head. Maybe I need to re-install. Oh, goody.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>By the way, in my desktop Ultimate machine, there is no "Manage Wireless Networks"..only Change adapter settings and Change advanced sharing settings.

This is as things should be, since the Ultimate machine is using a Cat6 connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast