3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Create XP virtual mode shortcut on w7 desktop

This should be simple, I have Googled it several ways to no avail.

I want to create a shortcut on my W7 desktop that will open the XP virtual mode.
    Now I have to 1) start menu> 2) all programs> 3 Win virtual mode> 4) Windows XP mode.
    4 mouse clicks plus scrolling to the end of all programs.
    Lots of wasted time, there has got to be a simple (K.I.S.S) way to place a shortcut on the W7 desktop.

I found: Windows XP Mode base.vhd. Is the the file I need the shortcut to? Is it the "exe" file?

cheers,

klxdrt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    My target for the XP Mode shortcut is this one: %SystemRoot%\system32\rundll32.exe %SystemRoot%\system32\VMCPropertyHandler.dll,Launc hDefaultVM

To create a shortcut, right click the desktop, choose New -> Shortcut and then paste the value I showed you when asked for the location of the item.

Thanks
    To create a desktop shortcut to any program that appears in your "All Programs" list in the Start Menu, click Start > All Programs > 'Yourprogramthatneedsadesktopshortcut' and right-click the shortcut that appears there in the All Programs menu. Select "Copy", move your mouse to an empty place on your desktop, right-click and select "Paste".

Works every time, no typing involved, no chance of typo's.
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It works, thanks.

Kudos againg for another fast, professional,& cheerful solution.

This is the best, most informed Win forum I've been on. I have 25 yrs of business experience with MS from DOS 2.0 thru W7. Just went to W7 32 Pro so I would have access to the XP virtual mode. I didn't know MS changed the colors on a stoplight, from red, yellow, green to what ever the programmer wants, the programmer gets. Damn the customers/Users, full speed ahead.

I did get the XP mode up & running thanks to a very nice lady at MS. And it works as I expected.

The short cut to launch XP from the W7 desktp works fine & the tip on creating shortcuts from the start button will be helpful.

NOW, is it possible to make a short on W7 desktop that will open a specific app in XP mode while opening the XP mode.
    Click the app icon on the W7 desktop, and it opens the app in the XP mode, ready to go so I can work faster than the speed of business.

Please accept my superhero award for Excellence award.

Cheers,

klxdrt
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If you copy the shortcut from the "Windows XP mode applications" menu, in the Start menu, as explained before, you will achieve that. Actually, if the file type is associated with a XP mode app, clicking (or double clicking, depending on your configuration) the file, will automatically open the XP mode app.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks it worked.

Cheers,

klxdrt