Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Top row of keyboard not working

Yesterday I did a re-install of Win 7 as outlined in Win Secrets and every thing worked out well. As usual after an install there were a ton of updates. This morning I had about 90 that I permitted to install. Immediately, although my computer works, the top row of the keyboard doesn't. Even had to go to another computer to write this. Couldn't type in any numbers, even "@" doesn't work. Anyone have similar problems? Or any ideas where to start on the updates I installed? I suspect they're the problem. Thanks.
    Last edited by ewbone; 2012-09-08 at 18:54. Reason: Eliminate email address

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ewbone For This Useful Post:

Taughm (2013-01-22)

Thanks
    First, please edit and remove your email address from your post. You're inviting tons of spam. There are thousands of bots that troll the web looking for email addresses.

Second, what type (make and model) keyboard are we talking about?
    Create a fresh drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?"—Captain Jack Sparrow "When you're troubleshooting, start with the simple and proceed to the complex."—M.O. Johns "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else."—Sir Thomas Robert Deware.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. You're right and that was a dumb thing to do.

My keyboard is a Logitech Internet navigator.

Thanks
    Have you tried downloading the drivers for the keyboard.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just did that and then checked the System to see if the driver was working properly. When looking for the new driver from Logitech the latest they have is for XP and Vista. It had been running on XP before so I assume that will work with Win 7 as it has for the past few weeks. Or could an improper driver have been the problem that caused my system to lock up repeatedly and for which I did the re-install in the first place? When I first installed Win 7 and when I did the re-install, it checked for compatibility so I didn't think there was any problem.

Thanks
    Sorry for asking the obvious but have you tried a different keyboard?

Thanks
    It could be a problem with the driver. You might try going to Device Manager and deleting the driver and let MS rebuild it when rebooting. After ward you could try the latest driver again. It might be that the drivers will not be updated, and will not work for Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    As suggested I tried another keyboard...which was a good idea by the way...but it did the same thing, no numbers. Then to the Device Manager, uninstalled the driver and re-booted. It came back up with the keyboard working except for the top row again. Oddly, sometimes when I punch a number nothing happens, other times a letter will come up. When a letter comes up it will be the same letter no matter which number I strike. Unless one of the many updates that I installed this morning caused it, I suspect it must be the driver. I could uninstall the updates, but that is probably hours of work, but I may end up doing just that as sort of a last resort. I do appreciate the time and thought both of you are taking this evening.

Thanks
    I do not believe there is going to be a shortcut. The other keyboard, was it the same model or something different. If it was the same it could still be the driver or an update. If it was different, I would suspect an update, but who knows for sure.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It is a Microsoft keyboard. Both USB boards. I might just start with the updates and try it after each one is uninstalled. Again, I do appreciate your efforts. I'll keep watching this in case you have some more inspiration. And, I'll report back if and when I solve the problem.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just in case ... try checking at Control Panel, Region and Language, Keyboards and Languages, Change Keyboards that the input language is still set to English.

Bruce

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceR View Post
    Just in case ... try checking at Control Panel, Region and Language, Keyboards and Languages, Change Keyboards that the input language is still set to English.

Bruce
    I think you may be on the right track there. US keyboards have the @ sign as shift 2 whereas UK keyboards have it as shift ' (near the enter button)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Checked that English was still the language and it is. I installed 93 updates this morning after which the problem arose. Rather than try to uninstall them one at a time, I'm thinking of doing the Win 7 re-install again as it will be much faster than trying to uninstall each of the updates individually in an attempt to find which one of the updates caused the problem. If all is well after the re-install I'll at least be pretty sure it's one of the updates...although wihout a clue as to which one. Just thinking about it, if everything is running well I might consider installing 5 or 10 updates at a time, checking after each set to see if the top row is still working. Anyone have a better idea or see any holes in this one?

Thanks
    If you go that route, just install a few updates at a time and see what happens. Are you using a Win 7 disk with SP1 already included. If not, download the ISO file from Digital River, burn the ISO file to a DVD and use that for the installation along with your key. Perhaps this will help with the number of updates needed.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think my copy of Win 7 has any SP. I notice that when I installed W7 yesterday it included SP3. Does that include SP 1 and SP 2? I suspect it does because when it went online for updates to the install it gave me SP3 only.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast