Star Lounger
    Thanks

How do I transfer video from Windows Media Center to DVD?

Hi to all,
    I would like to take video that I record from either Windows Media Center (WMC) from my computer or from one of my several DVD recorders and first remove unwanted imagery and then transfer them to a DVD that is playable on a normal DVD player. I notice that the WMC records in either a .wtv or dvr-ms format and I am not sure what my DVD recorders use for their recordings. I know that at least one of my DVD recorders gives me a choice of 2 formats to make recordings but I don’t know the difference and which if either is capable of being edited. I now have everything on DVD+RW discs. I see all kinds of Conversion programs both free and commercial that claim to make the necessary conversion to play on telephones and tablets but I don’t know what format is required to transfer to a normal DVD.
    As a newbie to video I would like a free Video 101 basics tutorial that would explain video formats, editing and conversions and what is required to do what I want to do.
    Is there anyplace on the internet that has very basic free Video 101 type information or are only paid college courses available? I have tried Googling “Video to DVD conversion” to see if any information is available but not found anything useful for my situation. I have also been to the VideoHelp site and while the information there is substantial, a lot of the information is several years old and doesn’t mention if it is applicable to Win7, and again, I don’t know what format goes with what program and what format can be easily converted so I really don’t know where to start.

My computer is a Dell desktop running Windows7 64 bit. I have Adobe Premiere Elements 10 available and Photoshop CS6 on the computer as well as Nero 11 Platinum, that have some video capabilities although I don’t have any idea how to use them for video modifications. Could anybody be kind enough to head me in the right direction?
    Respectfully, Graphics Guy

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi GG,

As the files will be on your pc, they can easily be 'trimmed' then burned to DVD using http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I downloaded Free_Video_Converter and will check out what documentation they have available on their website to see if it will answer any of my questions. My basic problem is I don't understand the basic formats and which ones are created by DVD recorders and what is required to do basic editing, and how do I convert the video to a format that I can burn onto a DVD that can be played on a normal DVD player. I also didn't find the Windows Media Center formats - .wtv or .dvr-ms among the input formats the program converts.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Respectfully, Graphics Guy
    Last edited by Graphics Guy; 2012-09-05 at 11:35.

Thanks
    Hi GG,
    If you use the DVD option in Freemake, it will burn to a DVD using correct format.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Roderunner For This Useful Post:

Graphics Guy (2012-09-06)