2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Treeview control gives event errors

Hi Accessers

I've just noticed that an Access database I've been using for ever, which uses the Microsoft Treeview control, has died. As soon as I launch the form with the treeview I get errors like:

"The expression Mouse Move you entered as the event property setting produced the following error: There was an error loading an ActiveX control on one of your forms or reports"

Almost any trivial operation (mouse move, node click) generates the same error. Buttons still work. As the treeview is the main navigation component on this database, and key event code on the forms no longer works I'm a bit inconvenienced by this! Has anyone else experienced this problem, and is there a simple solution? I wrote the code about 10 years ago, tweaked it slightly for Access 2010 and really don't want to rewrite it now. I assume a recent "update" from MS has trashed the treeview control (in mscomctl.ocx).

I have tried working through the form design and reassigning / assigning event handlers for the events that give the errors but there's no improvement.

This is now a great opportunity for a third party family tree software supplier, but I know no-one has a commercial product as good (for me) as my own!

Help please! Thanks in advance

Ian.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it help to compact and repair the database?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    You don't indicate what OS your system is running on, but there are a number of reports of problems registering the treeview on Windows 7 64-bit version. And the treeview is flat not supported in the 64-bit version of Office 2010. There are also some reports of issues with security updates messing with mscomctl.ocx and turning off functions. Finally there is an excellent commercial treeview available from DBI Technologies that we have used for a number of years.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Oops Wendell, I should have added that info. Windows 7 Home Premium, service pack 1 on a 64 bit system, but MS Access is MS Access 2010 32 bit version. The database is an MDB. I'm using "Microsoft Windows Common Controls 6.0 (SP6)" located at "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\MSCOMCTL.OCX". Now I've writtten that I note that the data on the MCSCOMCTL.OCX file is 6/6/2012. I'm not sure I've looked at this database since then...

So what did Microsoft do to MSCOMCTL.OCX in June? I tried the instructions in MS12-027 about removing .EXD files but that didn't work.

Ian.

Thanks
    Hi Ian,
    Try the suggested fix shown in this FMS article:

Fixing the Microsoft Windows Common Control Library (MSCOMCTL.OCX) Security Update
    http://www.fmsinc.com/MicrosoftAcces...mctl/index.htm

This article includes a statement that the fix Microsoft recommends in KB 2687441 does not work in most cases.

Good Luck
    Tom Wickerath
    Microsoft Access MVP
    4/1/2006 - 3/31/2012

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tgw7078 For This Useful Post:

iansavell (2012-09-13)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks tgw7078. That was the fix I needed. I'd already tried re-registering without success, but registering an old version first did the trick! I'd searched a few times on Google without spotting that article so well done.

Ian.

Lounger
    Thanks
    We switched years ago to this 3rd party Treeview control
    http://www.bennet-tec.com/btProducts/TList/TList.htm