4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with CD/DVD drive

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop currently running Vista, which I want to upgrade to Win7 Home Premium. When I insert a Win7 DVD and tell the laptop to boot from that drive, the drive spins for a couple minutes, and then Vista starts. I know the Win7 DVD is OK, I've used it 3 times without a problem. Yesterday I inserted a DVD movie in the drive, and Media Center fired up and played it just fine. What might be wrong?

Thanks
    Check in your Bios for the Boot Order. To boot to a CD/DVD, the Optical Drive must be listed before the HD. In this way if a CD/DVD is inserted when you boot, the system will try to boot to this before going to the HD, If no CD/DVD is inserted the system will bypass this and go directly to the HD.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>Check in your Bios for the Boot Order.

Already tried that, didn't help. The CD/DVD drive light is blinking and I hear some motor noise, so the laptop seems to be attempting to boot from that drive.

Thanks
    I would try the DVD's again and see if they still play. It almost sounds like the DVD player has just gone bad, or perhaps the Win 7 DVD has a problem. I realize it has worked previously, but it sure sounds like a DVD player or a bad DVD.

I suppose you could try to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters from the registry. This is probably a long shot but worth trying. I would also check the DVD player drivers. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if you can acquire drivers to replace what you have. In Device Manager right click the DVD drive and choose to install new drivers. Or perhaps delete the DVD drive from Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers when you reboot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Medico View Post
    I would try the DVD's again and see if they still play. It almost sounds like the DVD player has just gone bad, or perhaps the Win 7 DVD has a problem. I realize it has worked previously, but it sure sounds like a DVD player or a bad DVD.

I suppose you could try to delete the UpperFilters and LowerFilters from the registry. This is probably a long shot but worth trying. I would also check the DVD player drivers. Go to the manufacturer's web site and see if you can acquire drivers to replace what you have. In Device Manager right click the DVD drive and choose to install new drivers. Or perhaps delete the DVD drive from Device Manager and allow Windows to reinstall the drivers when you reboot.
    I found another Win7 install DVD, and when I used it, I got the message "Press any key to start from CD or DVD." I wasn't getting that with the other DVD, so I guess it's not being seen as a bootable disk. It was one of those Family Pack upgrade disks, and I've used all three installs, so I need to buy another one. Hopefully it will work. I don't see the CD/DVD drive as being the problem right now.

Thanks
    OK, you had used all the licenses. I do not think that would prevent you from installing, it just would not allow the OS to activate. Your last post would indicate a problem with the DVD. As long as you get another key the second DVD you tried that seemed to work should work for the new installation. It really does not matter which flavor, HP, Pro or Ultimate, the key you get will unlock the correct version.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-10 at 18:45.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>As long as you get another key the second DVD you tired that seemed to work should work for the new installation. It really does not matter which flavor, HP, >>Pro or Ultimate, the key you get will unlock the correct version.

Except that second disk is for 64-bit Win7, and I want to install 32-bit <grin>. I bought another Family Pack on eBay today, which has both "bitness" disks.

Thanks
    OK, you did not mention that "little" fact previously, but yes you would need a bitness that works with your PC. Glad you were able to find what you need. Yes the retail sets include both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks. Good luck with your installation.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>OK, you did not mention that "little" fact previously, but yes you would need a bitness that works with your PC.
    I didn't mention it because I was just using the disk for "test" purposes. I should have noticed with the first disk that I wasn't getting the "Press any key" message, which SHOULD have tipped me to the disk being the problem.

Thanks
    If I can remenber correctly I too had some difficulty in getting my 64 bit Windows 7 DVD to boot (this was while the 32 bit version was the OS installed).
    I think persistence paid off. Try cold booting with the disk in the machine.
    I have a small scratch on my disk, and had originally thought that was the problem, but it seems to be working fine.
    Just that one time while booting and attempting to install the 64 bit version.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-10 at 21:13.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Just a thought!

Quote Originally Posted by JJDetroit View Post
    I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop currently running Vista, which I want to upgrade to Win7 Home Premium. When I insert a Win7 DVD and tell the laptop to boot from that drive, the drive spins for a couple minutes, and then Vista starts. I know the Win7 DVD is OK, I've used it 3 times without a problem. Yesterday I inserted a DVD movie in the drive, and Media Center fired up and played it just fine. What might be wrong?
    The other DVD's are not most likely not self Booting. However, you might solve your problem with the Windows 7 HP disc by going into the System Setup (usually by pressing the appropriate Function Key - like maybe F2 for example. As your system starts to boot watch the bottom of the display for the appropriate Function key to press before Windows starts.

Once you get into System Setup you will see a menu at the top of the display where you can change the "Boot Order" of your Computer Boot Devices. I would suggest making the DVD/Rom the 1st device and your Hard Drive the second device. If you do not have a bootable disc in your DVD/Rom then it will pass to the Hard Drive and boot.

Hope this helps!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by thepops View Post
    The other DVD's are not most likely not self Booting. However, you might solve your problem with the Windows 7 HP disc by going into the System Setup (usually by pressing the appropriate Function Key - like maybe F2 for example. As your system starts to boot watch the bottom of the display for the appropriate Function key to press before Windows starts.

Once you get into System Setup you will see a menu at the top of the display where you can change the "Boot Order" of your Computer Boot Devices. I would suggest making the DVD/Rom the 1st device and your Hard Drive the second device. If you do not have a bootable disc in your DVD/Rom then it will pass to the Hard Drive and boot.

Hope this helps!
    I'd already tried that, and it didn't work. I think there was just something about that Win7 disk that the optical drive didn't like. I bought another Win7 Family Pack and hopefully will have better luck with the disk in it.