Thanks

Cloning to a larger hard drive with True Image 2010

I asked this question once before about cloning to a larger hard drive and was told that both hard drives have to be the same size to make a bootable clone..

Today I was looking at the cloning feature in TI 2010 and it states that it is possible to make a bootable clone to a larger hard drive.
    Here's a screen shot.

What i would like to know is that if I do clone to a larger hard drive and my smaller hard drive fails can I just remove the bad hard drive and plug in the cloned hard drive and be back up running again with the new larger cloned hard drive ???

All my hard rives are internal.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    I would think you could. After all you are copying everything including drivers to the Cloned drive. The biggest problem I see is that you would have to have your data backed up separately so it could be restored to it's current info. Also, any changes or updates made since the Clone was created will not be there. In other words the Clone would be out of date. The biggest disadvantage as I see it is you can only have one Clone on the drive since it is bootable. I do not know how it works to recreate a clone over the first in order to keep your clones up to date.

That is one reason why I recreate Images at least monthly, if not more often. In fact I just created a new Image last night because I have added a couple of apps to my system. Imaging would work as well, but also has the advantages that I can keep as many Images as I wish, or have room for. Once the new HD is installed, it would take less than 10 minutes to restore a totally up to date Image.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Ted, I don't have a problem keeping up to date because I image every evening to two separate hard drives..
    Also I have a weekly image I make every Monday in case the other two fail for some reason or another..

If the cloning is successful I would make a new clone every week. by just over writing the current one.

The purpose of having a cloned drive would be so I can just swap out the drive that failed until I can replace it.

Thanks
    I do not think overwriting the Clone weekly is absolutely necessary if you create Images so often. Once you install the new HD with a clone, you then can restore the latest Image to get back where you were when something bad happened.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    That makes sense Ted..

Now, the spare drive I want to use is a serial drive and the one I want to clone is a ATA IDE drive..

You think there would be any problems cloning from a ATA drive to a serial drive?

Thanks
    That I cannot answer, sorry. I have been out of the building PC's for so long, I just do not know enough about that to give an adequate answer.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    ATA to SATA cloning should work just fine.

Jerry

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    ATA to SATA cloning should work just fine.

Jerry
    I can confirm this, with one exception/tip:

When I've cloned IDE to SATA I needed to add the SATA drive to the system first. Then let Windows find, load and register a driver for it, before running the cloning process. When I tried it without a resident driver for the SATA disk, the OS would not boot after the cloning.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    Thanks guys..

Tinto, I already have the serial drive installed and it works fine.
    It's one of the drives I use now for images.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Disable the password before cloning if the drive is password-protected.

I cloned when moving to SSD with (Kingston) provided (Acronis) cloning software, and it went very smoothly.

Thanks
    Thanks dogberry, I don't use password protection but good advice anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Kingston has a video tuorial SSDNow Data Migration (on a page with three other tutorials), and that is precisely the operation you want to perform, except that yours is not an SSD. It worked perfectly for me, and it should work just as well for you.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Backup by cloning

For some years now I have been backing up by cloning to a second hard drive. When I do something stupid to my primary HD (or the leprechauns perform tricks), I just reboot, set the BIOS to boot from drive #2 (or #3) and am back immediately, running from where-ever I was when the clone was run. Then I can clone the operating drive back to drive 1 when I am ready and reset BIOS back to boot from drive 1.

Have used this on SATA, IDE and (what's that old serial interface?) with success. Use identical drives -- first thing when I get a new system is to go on eBay for an identical drive, install it and clone. You can test the clone at any time by just changing the BIOS and booting from the cloned drive. Use Acronis True Image booted from a CD for the cloning -- takes about 20 minutes on my current system.

This works well for me. In our business, I used the second drive mounted in a removable drawer, so we could take it out and store in a fireproof cabinet -- also could multiple generations of backup.

HTH,
    Carl Ford

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

Spring a few bucks for an upgrade to TrueImage 2013 with the Plus Pack. I restored my image from a single drive right onto my newly set-up RAID drive using Universal Restore. Everything else I tried refused to to that. Needed to fix a couple of odd drivers but it took only a few minutes to correct that as I had them saved in Driver Genius. You can do any of the restores mentioned above with this. I am not working for Acronis, in fact I returned the program for other reasons, but the back-up, disk images and restores work great.

Bill