5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Router Setup Slow or not Responding

I have a Linksys WRT54G router that got reset somehow and I'm trying to get it set up again. I have changed the SSID and the login password and that has been saved fine. I can log into the router without any problem using my laptop that is cable connected to the router. Earlier today I was able to move from one screen to another in the router interface without much problem except that it seemed very slow to me. Now I can't even get it to change screens! I need to change the passphrase for the wireless connections. When I select a different screen from the one it opens on it doesn't respond for a while and then it starts to paint the new screen but never finishes.

Is this a sign that the router is dying or is there some other explanation?

Thanks,
    Bill

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Bill, does it respond slowly when accessed from another PC? If so it points to the router.

Open a command prompt and run "ping IP Address", where IP Address is the router. What are the response times? 1 ms or similar is good, much more than that is not so good. If the ping response is good, but the internal web server is still slow, try a power cycle and perhaps another factory reset. I have seen some routers that are incredibly slow to respond to web page requests which are resolved by a power reset.

Incidentally, do you know how the router was reset in the first place? If it was a random incident and the router was somehow returned to factory settings, it may well have a fault.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I haven't tried accessing the router setup from another PC but I did start working correctly later today! The last time I tried this morning, I tried to change from the opening screen and it filled-in some fields on the screen and then froze. I let it sit for several hours and it never changed. I closed the browser and tried the ping you suggested and it took 1ms. Then I tried logging into the router again and it worked fine! I had powered down the router a couple times over the 24 hours that I was having trouble and that never seemed to make any difference.

I don't have any idea what caused it to be reset in the first place. I remember one previous time when it appeared to have been reset. That was several years ago.

I probably should start thinking about getting a new router.

Thanks,
    Bill

Thanks
    Bill: I suggest that if you have a wireless router, you should replace it every so often, because your router security will get outdated after several years.

Also, a newer one will probably be faster than one which is several years old.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. I need to learn more about the capabilities of modern routers. I'll probably get a new one before too long.

Thanks,
    Bill