New Lounger
    Thanks

VB error 5852 when close Word (2000/SR 1)

When I close Word, I receive VB run time error 5852: requested object module is not available. Click OK, get error message again, get error message again, another click OK and Word closes. I've reinstalled Word several times, but same thing. Not using any VB routines (don't even know how to use them!).

Any ideas on what is going on, or what the fix is?

Walt

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: VB error 5852 when close Word (2000/SR 1)

Walt,

While Word is running, go to Tools > Templates & Add-Ins, and look to see if there are any items listed under Global Templates and Add-Ins - are there any items in there with checkmarks next to them?

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

Yes there are eight with check marks:
    Aware97.dot for Omnipage Pro 8
    Fontlist.dot
    MathTypeCommands 5 for Word.dot
    PALMAPP.dot
    Parsons.dot for a Parsons Bible program
    PDFMaker.dot
    PDFMaker.dot it is checked twice (but different path)
    MathPage.wll

All of these files are locatable with Find; of course they could be corrupted in some way. What shall I do now that I see this list?

Walt

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That's a whole lot of add-ins, all of which are interacting with Word. Which was the one most recently installed - that might be most likely to be the cause of the problem.

If you don't mind spending a little time on detective work, close Word, and use Windows Explorer to go to the location of your (Word) Startup directory (if you're not sure where that is, you can locate it in Word via Tools > Options > File Locations).

With Word not running, move one of the add-ins out of the startup directory (and into a temporary location), Start Word. If the problem still exists, then it's not that add-in that's causing the problem. Shut Word, put that add-in back into the startup directory, and repeat with the next add-in. Sooner or later that should single out which one is causing the problem. Post back and let us know which one it is.

(By the way I'll be out of town for the next few days and away from Lounge.)

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks

Gary,

I recalled that I just upgraded to Acrobat 5. I took a different detective approach than you suggested and here are the results. The 1st PDFmaker.dot resides in C:/program files/microsoft/office/startup; the 2nd one has a source location in C:/windows/application data/microsoft/word/startup. From tools>templates and add-ins, I unchecked the 1st instance and closed Word; this time only one VB error. Restarted Word, and went to uncheck the 2nd instance of PDFmaker.dot (low and behold the 1st one is rechechked!). I uncheck both of them (turns our that unchecking the 2nd one removes Acrobat icon from the Word toolbar), then close Word; and no VB error messages. Restart Word; and yep, both PDFmaker.dot items are checked again!

So, bottom line. The problem is with Adobe Acrobat 5. I haven't figured out how yet to get rid of the VB error message on Word closing. Of course its no big deal, since Acrobat works fine from Word. Nevertheless, something is going on that bugs me. Maybe this will help you, or someone else may have discovered the problem/fix and have a suggestion. Thanks,

Walt

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Walt:

So long as these templates are in a startup folder in the Office or Word starup path, the templates are global. That means they'll be loaded every time you start Word & you'll see the items checked. What you might try is:
    1. Move these templates out of the startup folder into the regular templates folder (the one you have listed under Tools/Options/File Locations/User Templates.
    2. Go to Tools/Templates & Add-ins... & click "Add".
    3. Browse to your template folder & locate your pdfmaker templates & add them.

Now you can untick them & they won't load automatically. <big>However</big>, although you can tick them under Tools/Templates & Add-ins... to load them in Word, I don't know whether they will work. Acrobat may not be able to find them in the new locations <big>AND</big> your other Office programs will not have the add-in available. Therefore, this "solution" may create other problems that are even worse. I don't have Acrobat, but perhaps there was an option during installation that allowed you to load these files on demand, rather than automatically. Otherwise, you might consider emailing their tech support with the question.

If you find an answer from them, I hope you'll post it back here for future reference.

Hope this helps.