Ken Kashmarek

What is the criteria for the 5 star indication on some posts?

What is the criteria for the 5 star indication on some posts? It doesn't seem to be connected to the view count or the reply count, and some of the entries just don't seem qualified for any kind of rating at all. You almost never see anything less than 5 stars which seems to defeat any rating at all. Can we post a negative indicator?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I believe it is from using "Rate this thread" in the task bar above the first post.
    Capture.PNG

Joe

3. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

Ken Kashmarek

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reminder. Too often, web pages are way to busy to see everything and in this case, it just got ignored.

However, when one sees mostly (if not only) 5 star ratings, that means someone has been loading up that option, thus rendering the rating systems somewhat moot.

Ken Kashmarek
    Well, I did it to this thread. All it takes is one (1) 5 star click and the thread gets a 5 star rating. That isn't much of a rating system.

Thanks
    Well, I've been using this board for some time now and I've never seen any thread rating for any thread! (and still can't)

Somehow, I don't think I'm going to worry too much about it.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Kashmarek View Post
    Well, I did it to this thread. All it takes is one (1) 5 star click and the thread gets a 5 star rating. That isn't much of a rating system.
    So what should it get? I don't rate much stuff, but if you go to Amazon or Audible and it's the same system, working the same way.

Ken Kashmarek
    Well, I expect the "thread" rating should be a composite of all individual thread ratings that are clicked. As for the rating system on Amazon, it is different in that Amazon shows the number of ratings for EACH rating level. Further, I think no rating should show at all unless a minimum number of ratings have been received (say for example, 5% of total postings).

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sorry, Amazon will assign the rating of the first review, if it is a first review. The same happens with audible (an amazon owned audiobook company).

Ken Kashmarek

Sample Amazon rating

Gee, here is what a sample Amazon rating looks like:

SampleAmazonRating.jpg

It includes the number of ratings at each rating level. I don't see this in the Lounge.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Yes, but they will show one rating when it is the single one.

I don't think the ratings are as relevant here as on Amazon. We use VBulletin and I can only guess it's like this because it's how it's done by VBulletin.