New Lounger
    Thanks

The case of the jumping cursor

I have a Dell M1530 laptop running Vista SP2. All of the sudden, I turned the computer on, and the cursor has a mind of its own. As soon as Windows boots, before I can even enter my password to login to the computer, the cursor starts jumping around. I have tried using the Dell touchpad driver, and a Synaptic driver, and neither changes anything. I currently have a wireless USB mouse attached, and whether the mouse is on or off, the cursor still jumps about. I used 'Uninstall Programs' to remove both touchpad drivers. Any suggestions as to what to try next?

Many thanks!

Frank

PS: Sorry if this is in the wrong forum... I didn't know if this should be in hardware or Vista :-)
    Last edited by unkfrank; 2012-09-13 at 09:27. Reason: Added a PS

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Try leaving the external mouse plugged in and disabling the touchpad in Device Manager. You may have a hardware issue with the touchpad connections.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion, Jerry. For now, the bouncing cursor has stopped bouncing. Other than running a full virus scan and full scan with Malwarebytes (and neither came from either scan), the laptop has just been sitting there. I looked in the Device Manager, and I don't have a touchpad listed. I've looked at every item and expanded them, even if it didn't seem to make any sense (like monitors). Under "Mice and other pointing devices" I have 2 llistings for "HID-compliant mouse", and one "PS/2 Compatible Mouse". Under "Human Interface Devices" I have one "HID-compliant consumer control device" and three "USB Human Interface Device". I have the wireless mouse attached and it works now, as does the touchpad when the mouse is on. I'll do some looking this weekend and see if I can figure out which one, if any, might be the touchpad. It was really bad timing - I just started a new job, and the company will reimburse me for a new computer, but after being out of work for several months, it'll take some time to save up enough to buy one. Hopefully I can milk this and baby it until I can replace it ;-)

Thanks
    I might try downloading the driver for the touchpad from Dell once again. It is possible the touchpad S/W is corrupt. I know with Win 8 I have to download the Alps touchpad app for our laptops, otherwise I get some strange occurrences when using my PC with a separate wireless mouse.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy