Thread: Remote Desktop

New Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Desktop

I'm running Windows XP Home edition and want to be able to access my computer from a borrowed laptop after I've had surgery and won't be able to navigate stairs for a while. I have Remote Desktop installed and remember using it some years ago to access a computer at work. I thought I'd try it out now to log onto my son's laptop on my wifi and can't get a connection. to the IP address I get on his laptop using ipconfig at the C:\ prompt. I even went in to both Windows Firewall settings and checked Remote Desktop to allow access.

One thing I notice is that in mine and his System Properties/Remote Tab settings it looks like this:

However, when I Google images, this is what I see:

As you see, mine doesn't have anything in the lower part of the window. Is that the problem and how can I fix it?

Thanks
    The only valid way that I know to 'fix' that problem is to install XP Professional. That's one of the things which differentiates Home from Pro.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BATcher For This Useful Post:

oldyellr (2012-09-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay, my memory's kind of hazy, but it's just possible I had Win98SE the last time I actually used Remote Desktop. I do have it installed in my programs on XP Home, but maybe I never tried to use it. While searching for clues on the web I came across a site showing how to upgrade Home to Professional so I'll go looking for that again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    You have the remote desktop client program to allow you to connect to a machine that can host a remote desktop session. XP Home can not host a remote desktop session.

Check out the free version of LogMeIn.

Joe

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

oldyellr (2012-09-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just trying LogMeIn remotely now and it's working, but a bit jerky. I'm on a big TV screen now, so I don't know how easy it would be working in a window on a laptop. Not too crazy about it urging me to upgrade to the pay version, but at least I have one solution and I don't need to install Remote Desktop on the computer I'm working from. Thanks!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I never had nuch luck with remote desktop....

Another solution would be one of the VNC type programs. I use tight vnc on local lan, and over the internet and it's great. It installs a listening service on the target machine so you can access it whenever the machine is connected to the network.
    On a LAN connection is pretty easy - just an IP address. Over the internet you is more effort - because of changing IP addresses, and firewall port forwarding.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    A great alternative would be TeamViewer, which is free for personal use. You can setup the computer you want to connect to for unattended access and connect to it when you need to. No firewall worries, full control, great UI.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Right now I'm trying LogMeIn and it works fine. It starts out with 14 days of the pro version, so I don't know if it will become annoying when it reverts to the free edition. How does TeamViewer compare?

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Both are similar in terms of performance. You have the opportunity to downgrade the 14 day trial of Logmein Pro at any time and it doesn't nag you afterwards.

Teamviewer (which is free for personal use) opens port 80 on your controlled machine which, depending on your settings in you router may be a security risk. This behaviour can be disabled in the advanced settings.

In your originating post, you mention this will be after a hospital procedure that will restrict you from using stairs - do I read into that statement that you will be at home and on the same network as your own computer? If so, you will get better performance from a VNC application such as Tight VNC. This performs better because data does not have the double hop out to the internet and back in to the laptop. The laptop connects directly to the home computer at whatever your internal network speed can cope with. The only thing you need to check is that your settings the the router prevent anyone outside accessing the VNC server on the home computer.

Ignore the VNC recommendation if I have misunderstood your original post and you will not be connected to the same network - it is only secure if used inside your network. But, if you are on the same network, it should outperform Teamviewer and Logmein etc.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My desktop in the basement is hooked directly into the phone line through the wireless router and DSL modem. So you're saying with VNC I can connect directly to the host computer through the wifi without using the internet? I'll have to try it.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    If both computers are on the same network you can use VNC over that network.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Joe! I'd been struggling with LogMeIn for a couple of weeks and never managed a session longer than about 20 minutes before I got logged out and had to go downstairs and log back in. But it didn't end there. The desktop computer usually ended up with a BSoD caused by cmaudio.sys that I can't seem to fix. If the desktop downstairs needs a hard reset and restart, I can't do it remotely. OTOH, TightVNC is much faster and more responsive and shows me the exact full screen of my desktop PC awith no other crap. I can still use LogMeIn to determine the desktop's IP address if I've forgotten or it's rebooted. The only problem I see with TightVNC at the moment is there's no sound, but I've just started using it, so I'll do some more digging into that.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Windows XP Home edition does not support remote access by default. You need to use XP Professional. In case you want to remotely access computers using XP Home edition, you may use RHUB, Bomgar, Logmein etc. remote support tools.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I discovered that XP Home was a downgraded from 98SE, where Remote Desktop worked. I tried Logmein, but settled for TightVNC because it was quicker and less klunky.