New Lounger
    Thanks

Query Concatenation Issue - Access 2010

I have a query in which I have concatenated the Last name, First name, and Middle initial fields. The Concatenation is as follows:
    Name: [tblStudentInfo].[LName]+", "+[FName]+" "+[MidInit]

Often, I do not have the persons middle initial in the table. If I run the query, the People's names that DO NOT have a middle initial in the table come back blank. Is there a way to have the query return the names whether there is a middle initial or not?
    If I take the +" "+[MidInit] portion out I do get all the names, but I will eventually have many people that have the same First and Last names (e.g. John Smith), so I really need to have the Middle initial in the query.

Thanks!

Bart

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bartputnam View Post
    I have a query in which I have concatenated the Last name, First name, and Middle initial fields. The Concatenation is as follows:
    Name: [tblStudentInfo].[LName]+", "+[FName]+" "+[MidInit]

Often, I do not have the persons middle initial in the table. If I run the query, the People's names that DO NOT have a middle initial in the table come back blank. Is there a way to have the query return the names whether there is a middle initial or not?
    If I take the +" "+[MidInit] portion out I do get all the names, but I will eventually have many people that have the same First and Last names (e.g. John Smith), so I really need to have the Middle initial in the query.

Thanks!

Bart
    Don't use "+" for concatenation - always use the standard "&" operator instead. As you have seen, "+" can give you unpredictable results!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremybarker For This Useful Post:

bartputnam (2012-09-13)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I figured it would be something simple.

Thanks for the quick response Jeremy!