New Lounger
    Thanks

Migrating Thunderbird profile to a new computer

I recently had to reinstall Windows on a new computer. When the computer came new I was able to install the Thunderbird profile I had copied from the my previous computer but today I am unable to do so. I have lost all my files and all I have been able to do is install a new copy of Thunderbird. Any one have any ideas how I can install an old profile? The message that comes up when I do is that I've Thunderbird already running and I will have to shut it off. I have done Mozilla Backup for the Thunderbird program but I do not know where to place it in the the current Thunderbird file folder.
    Help!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Install Moz Backup on the new computer and copy the saved Moz Backup file from the old computer to a flash drive. Start Moz backup on the new computer and tell it to restore the profile from the flash drive. Moz Backup will put it in the correct spot.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hglevi View Post
    I recently had to reinstall Windows on a new computer. When the computer came new I was able to install the Thunderbird profile I had copied from the my previous computer but today I am unable to do so. I have lost all my files and all I have been able to do is install a new copy of Thunderbird. Any one have any ideas how I can install an old profile? The message that comes up when I do is that I've Thunderbird already running and I will have to shut it off. I have done Mozilla Backup for the Thunderbird program but I do not know where to place it in the the current Thunderbird file folder.
    Help!
    I have just done it from a windows 7 home premium machine to a windows 7 professional one. It works - here's what I did:
    Go to start menu
    Type in %appdata% + enter
    Open Thunderbird folder
    Open Profiles folder
    The file name you need is name various letters and numbers.default
    Copy and paste somewhere secure. It's your backup
    Once that's done, go to new computer, download Thunderbird but don't register/fill in anything.
    Just close it without doing anything.
    Paste the .default file onto the new computer.

Staying on the new computer,
    Go to start menu
    Open Thunderbird folder
    Open Profiles folder
    There will be another file named various letters and numbers.default
    Open it and delete everything in it so that it is empty
    Go to your the original .default file that you have copied from your old computer into your new one.
    Open it and select and copy everything in it
    Paste this into the .default file you have just emptied
    Open Mozilla Thunderbird and your profile will be there.

Worked for me.
    Let me know if it worked for you.
    Best

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just re-reading your post. I think best thing is to delete Thunderbird from new computer and start again as I've described below. The thing is not to 'register' anything in the newly downloaded Thunderbird.
    Also, just replacing the folder with the one from your old computer won't work (I tried it). You have to copy and paste the CONTENTS of the .default from old machine to new.
    Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by plato-gb View Post
    I have just done it from a windows 7 home premium machine to a windows 7 professional one. It works - here's what I did:
    Go to start menu
    Open Thunderbird folder
    Open Profiles folder
    The file name you need is name various letters and numbers.default
    Copy and paste somewhere secure. It's your backup
    Once that's done, go to new computer, download Thunderbird but don't register/fill in anything.
    Just close it without doing anything.
    Paste the .default file onto the new computer.

Staying on the new computer,
    Go to start menu
    Open Thunderbird folder
    Open Profiles folder
    There will be another file named various letters and numbers.default
    Open it and delete everything in it so that it is empty
    Go to your the original .default file that you have copied from your old computer into your new one.
    Open it and select and copy everything in it
    Paste this into the .default file you have just emptied
    Open Mozilla Thunderbird and your profile will be there.

Worked for me.
    Let me know if it worked for you.
    Best

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry - YET another point. When you are accessing the profile from either machine, Thunderbird must be closed.
    I really thing that's all.............

Quote Originally Posted by plato-gb View Post
    Just re-reading your post. I think best thing is to delete Thunderbird from new computer and start again as I've described below. The thing is not to 'register' anything in the newly downloaded Thunderbird.
    Also, just replacing the folder with the one from your old computer won't work (I tried it). You have to copy and paste the CONTENTS of the .default from old machine to new.
    Good luck