Star Lounger
    Thanks

Changing network name (SSID)

I have a 2Wire 2701HG modem/gateway (also doubles as wired/wireless router) and Windows 7 Home Premium SP1.

If I go into the 2701HG and change the network name (also called SSID - I initially accepted the default name but now want to change it for security reasons), what exactly will I need to do with Windows 7 so that my desktop and laptop can continue to access the Internet and the wireless printer?

Thanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Changing the SSID is only needed to make it easily recognisable, example, if others are using the same SSID within range of your home wireless area. If your using strong encryption i.e. WPA, plus a strong password/passphrase, you will be safe.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Thanks
    Win 7 should recognize the router through it's assigned IP Address I would think. If any problems occur you can Right Click the network icon on the Taskbar and run the Network Troubleshooter.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Changing the SSID is a good idea, as most manufactures use the product name, making it easy to figure out default passwords, etc.

Once you've changed the SSID, you'll have to find the new name on the Wireless devices and re-enter the password.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMac56 View Post
    Once you've changed the SSID, you'll have to find the new name on the Wireless devices and re-enter the password.
    Can somebody please expand on this? My desktop is connected to the 2701HG via an Ethernet cable. My laptop and printer are connected to the 2701HG via Wi-Fi.

From what little I understand, I need to be concerned about changing the SSID only for the laptop and the printer. How will I tell the wireless printer that the 2701HG has a new SSID?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's hard to be specific, as The Computer Manufacturer and Microsoft each supplies it's own version of WiFi tools...sometimes one works better than the others.
    For the printer you should find the manual and step through the instructions so you can see what you have configured, and how to change it.
    For the PC, I'd double click on the wifi indicator at the bottom and you should be able to figure out which system is used by what shows up. Poke around and see if you can fiind the setup controls.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Why not assume you are starting from scratch all over again, but now connect each device to the new network name / SSID?
    BATcher

If it wasn't for the weather, Great Britain would be a silent nation.

Thanks
    You don't need to worry about the SSID if you are connected to your router via an ethernet cable; the SSID is the wireless network name.

You need to decide if you want your neighbors to be able to identify you by the SSID that they see. I changed my name to something I would recognize, but that wouldn't identify me to other people. For example, if my name was John Doe, I wouldn't use "JohnDoe" as my SSID. I don't even use "geek" or anything like that, because I am the only geek on my block. I would choose something like "footballfan", which I would recognize, but my neighbors wouldn't.

By the way, don't put a space in your ssid. (for example, don't put "John Doe"; put "JohnDoe".) A space in the SSID will prevent some devices from being able to connect to your router.

After changing the SSID, you'll need to go to each device that connects wirelessly, scan for wireless networks, then reconnect to your router using the new SSID, because the previous SSID is no longer valid.
    Last edited by mrjimphelps; 2012-09-14 at 16:31.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience with Windows 7 is that when you customize the Taskbar to show both Icons and Notifications for your network adapter(s) you can click on the Icon and see everything in range. If you change the SSID name, you just click on that name and click on Connect. Windows 7 MAY ask for access information, after it attempts to use what is stored in memory. Just re-enter your information.
    Printers USUALLY do not use SSID's, instead they use their assigned IP address. IF your printer requires an SSID, you will probably have to step through the entire network set up menu to verify / change any information.