New Lounger
    Thanks

Home VPN Solution

Hi there!

First off, thanks for reading my thread. I really appreciate the help.

I don't know anything about VPNs except that I need one, so allow me to explain what I am looking for and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction! I was an IT guy for the University of Colorado for several years before returning to school, so I have the knowledge to set up just about anything and the resources to find out what I need to do, but I just need a direction to go in.

I have an Apple Time Capsule behind by router that I currently redirect my families user folders to. What I want to be able to do is access this from outside of my network, hence the need for a VPN for secure access to my data. The thing is, I am in school right now (MS/PhD in Statistics) and often need to access data from a computer that I do not have admin rights on (lab machines). So I'm hoping for a VPN solution where I can log in to a website that will then give me a VPN tunnel back to my home network. My University has something like this, but they clearly have an enterprise level solution, which is way overkill for me.

I'm not super worried about cost, but I'd like to keep it reasonable and it doesn't matter to me if it is a hardware or software solution.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If the need is just for file transfer from home via a web site then perhaps SkyDrive Fetch would fit the bill: SkyDrive: Fetch any file from your PC - anywhere

File transmissions there would be protected by the same SSL technology used by many VPN solutions.

I'm not sure that any actual VPN programs would include access via an external web site.

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-09-26 at 23:52.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a couple of suggestions. Similar to BruceR you could use DropBox, SkyDrive, Google Drive and move your files at home into the respective folder where they will live online and on your home PC. Secondly, for logging in to to your home PC you could use a Netgear router with ReadyShare cloud capability which gives you the ability to do exactly what you want to do. By setting up a USB drive and attaching it directly to the Netgear router at home, they give you the option of registering with their ReadyShare service. This allows you to login to the USB drive at home (attached directly to your router) from outside your home network. Your traffic goes through the protected Netgear servers. You are able to set your own login name and password for access to your USB drive. I hope this helps. (One Netgear router with this capability is the N900 but they have others at different price points.) [http://www.netgear.com/home/products.../WNDR4500.aspx]

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I'd use something like Logmein Free.
    https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/products/

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Another software solution would be TeamViewer. On the hardware side you can look at routers with builtin VPN and/or NAS drives like the WD Netbook Live and Segate GO-Flex that have personal clouds included.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
    I'd use something like Logmein Free.
    https://secure.logmein.com/welcome/products/

cheers, Paul
    Logmein Free doesn't include file transfer, only Logmein Pro for $70 per year enables that. But in the circumstances it may be worth that much as it works very nicely.

Bruce

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The above suggestions are good. (probably better than your original idea of using a VPN.) If you are just looking at file sharing, I think the Dropbox suggestion is one of the best.

If you are still interested in VPN. Cisco makes a line of routers that works well at a very good pricepoint. Have a look at the RV series here:
    http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solut...ers/index.html

The RV110W can be purchased for less then $100.

I just installed an RV180 (no wireless) with Gigabit LAN ports for a customer for less then $150.

We are using this with the Cisco QuickVPN client for an offsite worker to access his terminal server running quickbooks accounting. Obviously running a terminal server session over the VPN works better then transfering files as most of us do not have the bandwidth to move large files quickly over a VPN connection.....

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not run apple myself but several of my customers do.

I think the Time Capsule already has a remote access function using something called "back to my mac". Maybe someone on here has played with it and can chime in on this.........

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From apple's community>

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3413

It looks like you might already own all the hardware you need.....

New Lounger
    Thanks

Microsoft Skydrive provides free access to your home PC (not just Skydrive)

Microsoft Skydrive now provides free access to your home PC (not just the Skydrive folders):

Here is the Microsoft message when installing SkyDrive:

If you forgot to put something in your SkyDrive folder, you can still get back to your PC to access all its files and folders from SkyDrive.com. To browse the files and folders on that PC from SkyDrive, make sure to select the "Fetch your files from anywhere" setting when you set up SkyDrive.