Thanks

W7 Home Group verses Netgear Ready Share for printer

I have 2 w7 computers, neither with Home Group installed. One with w7pro (#1 computer) and the other with w7 home.
    Setup is with a ISP supplied DSL Westell model 090-610014-20 modem and a Netgear WNDR4500, N900 router. Both wired together.
    I would share a USB connected Cannon IP6700 Printer. The printer is connected and running on my Computer #1.
    I think I understand that to use the Netgear router's USB, I have to run the Netgear Printer ReadyShare program on both computers, running all of the time.
    Before I mess up my computers and networking, I would like to know the best way to share this printer. Setup Homegroup or install Netgear Printer Readyshare.
    This is new to me, I have never been here before. At this time I only need to share a printer between these computers.
    Which way would work and work best for me? Is there special settings I need to do?
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Maybe this can help: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Share-a-printer

I
    would simply use Windows 7. I do it without a Homegroup. Fred Langa has shown the homegroup to be slower than regular windows networking.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

GiddyUpGo (2012-09-24)

Thanks
    Thank You!
    This was what I needed. A lot better then what I had questions about!
    Thanks to you I have my printer shared and working perfect, even showing the printer menu on both computers!
    You made my day!
    GiddyUpGo "Learn from the Past, Live in Today, Prepare for the Future"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,050 Posts
    Great, you're welcome .