3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

System tray notification icon removal

Un-installed AVG and my screw up I did not remove icon from notification on system tray. Whenever I un-install a program I reboot and then if any folders from app are left I delete the folders.

Well there was an AVG search bar folder that I deleted with no problem but the AVG 2012 folder will not delete because it says I have something in use. The only thing that I, with my limited skills can find is the AVG Tray monitor in the system tray notification area.

Any ideas and please dumb it down for me.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try the AVG remover at this site and be sure to chose the correct one for either 32 or 64 bit.
    http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities

If that does not work for some reason, open the tray notification area and select the customize link. The AVG one should be in there. Select the hide setting from the drop down box and then click OK.

Thanks
    Well below is info text document after operation failed. It did nothig to the offending AVG folder and contents. It probably should have been used before I did my 1st uninstall.

Now can I go into AVG folder and delete each file in there or just leave it alone completely. I had already did the hide thing.

2012-09-14 14:58:58,220 INFO AvgRemover 2012.0.5
    -------------------------------------------------------
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 DEBUG Avg9Uninstall\Directories key failed to open (error: e0010013)
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 DEBUG Avg8Uninstall\Directories key failed to open (error: e0010013)
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 DEBUG Reading AVG IDS\IDS\InstallDir value failed (error: e001003d)
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 INFO Command line: "C:\Users\Brad\Documents\avg_remover_stf_x64_2012_ 2125.exe"
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 WARN AvgDir param empty, but Remover found AvgDir at 'C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG2012\', use this path as default.
    2012-09-14 14:58:58,282 WARN AvgDataDir param empty, but Remover found AvgDataDir at 'C:\ProgramData\AVG2012\', use this path as default.
    2012-09-14 14:59:00,606 INFO AvgRemover runs in attempt number 1
    2012-09-14 14:59:00,606 INFO Attempting to unregister AVG from the Windows Security Center.
    2012-09-14 14:59:00,606 INFO Attempting to uninstall AVG Identity Protection.
    2012-09-14 14:59:05,754 INFO Attempting to uninstall toolbar

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dod you reboot the PC? Do that and then delete the entire AVG folder is it is still there.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ldb View Post
    Dod you reboot the PC? Do that and then delete the entire AVG folder is it is still there.
    Yes indeed that reboot stuff is a habit of mine on anything new etc etc

I did go in and attempt to delete files in the AVG 2012 folder and deleted maybe 20 files, 2 would not delete avgsea.dll and avgsysa.dll.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2012-09-14 at 14:48.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does it allow you to exit the icon on a right click?
    Could try booting in safe mode then see if you can delete the offending files.
    Failing that maybe re-install AVG then use revo uninstaller to uninstall it again using advance scan before any rebooting to remove left over files etc.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-09-14 at 16:01.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    The icon is gone from system tray but when you click the customize and you get the notification list menu it's on the list.

No, I use something called Your Uninstaller and it's never failed me till today.

AVG is not gonna be on this PC again. Get me once your stupid, get me twice I'm stupid. When I attempted to delete those last 2 files I was told that they were in use by windows explorer.

Thanks
    Click Start and type "services.msc" (without the quotes) in the search bar and hit enter.

Look for AVG and read the Description. If you find such an entry that is described as protecting against malware, etc., double-click that entry. In the box that pops up there is a Service status just below midway down.

If the service is started, click the Stop button and wait for Windows to stop the service. When it is stopped, delete your problem files.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bbearren View Post
    Click Start and type "services.msc" (without the quotes) in the search bar and hit enter.

Look for AVG and read the Description. If you find such an entry that is described as protecting against malware, etc., double-click that entry. In the box that pops up there is a Service status just below midway down.

If the service is started, click the Stop button and wait for Windows to stop the service. When it is stopped, delete your problem files.
    I have 2 AVG entries and there is a Start and Stop choice but the stop is grayed out. Now there is an menu that says "Start Up Type" and it is set on automatic when I click the automatic it gives 3 menu choices Automatic, Manual, Disabled not disable.

I assume if I pick disabled it would stop all but not gonna do it till you get back to me. Remember "Not Brightest Bulb"

Thanks
    You have to be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to make changes. Change the startup type to Disabled and then reboot. After the reboot, you should be able to delete the files.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

Thanks
    Well when I click disabled and apply it gives me the access denied. So I then see the login tab click that and password automatically enters and the confirm but then it wants me to type whatever acct I'm trying to work with and I'm at a loss. I'm so far over my pay scale it's silly. I did type AVG but got a some gibberish that I did not understand, actually got pee-ooed and just got out of there.

Thanks
    Did you try CCleaner Registry cleaner. I would ONLY remove the keys that you know are from uninstalled apps.

Whenever I uninstall an app using Revo uninstaller in the advanced mode, I still run CCleaner to find any leftover traces.

Without going back through this whole post, in the past a few times I had to reinstall a troublesome app then remove it more aggressively with the proper uninstall tools. I would perhaps try the AVG removal tool, followed by CCleaner.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The worst case scenario here is that you cannot install another anti virus program. Hopefully you have already installed another AV program as one should not be without one if they are going to do anything on the internet.

I would try what is called a "clean boot" Instructions are here and there is also a video. This will disable all non MS services. Once Windows loads, try deleting the AVG files. Once deleted, go back through the same steps , but instead of selective start up, choose normal start up on the General tab and Apply and then reboot.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135#method1

Thanks
    I installed MSE immediately after the AVG uninstall etc and all is updated and did a scan. It appears all is working properly.

I use Ace Utilities instead of CCleaner.

Latest update, I Googled the access denied can't open, or delete problem.

I then downloaded a program called Lockhunter, I tried it and it also could not delete the AVG file but it renamed it, moved from the programs folder and stored it in the Lockunter program vault. This removed the "scan with AVG" from my context menus completely.

Only problem I saw was when installing Lockhunter you must make sure to uncheck some of the extra Apps it wants to add to PC (Bing toolbar) and a couple others.
    Last edited by Not Brightest Bulb; 2012-09-16 at 06:28.