Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Table of Contents for a dummy

I have a report that is in sections, namely I. (II. etc.), A. (B. etc.), 1. (2. etc.,), a. (b. etc.), (i) ((ii) etc.). I am having trouble setting up a table of contents that captures all of the sections. I don't know anything about styles, headings, etc. Would someone please tell me how to set up a TOC beginning at step #1?
    Thanks.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    step 1: Resolve to learn about styles and headings, because building a Table of Contents (TOC) is a huge huge PITA without them.

You are asking about a 5-level TOC, so I am assuming that your document has already been created and is long/complicated. Possibly you inherited this document or were assigned this document, and it's not your fault that it does not have styles or headings

step 2: If you look at the PARAGRAPH FORMAT dialog box, you will see the 2nd item is OUTLINE LEVEL - and is probably set to "body text" but can be changed to Levels 1-9. Styles and Headings will automatically change this to a particular level, but if absolutely necessary, you can change each paragraph so that any ones with the roman numeral (i.e., I, II) are set to level 1, ones with the capital letters (i.e., A, B) should be set to level 2, and so on. Note that if you use "run-in" headings, this little trick is going to backfire on you. It's usually a fair amount of work to manually change the paragraph formatting.

step 3: Create your own TOC -- don't use any of the ones that are predefined, go to REFERENCES, TABLE OF CONTENTS, INSERT TABLE OF CONTENTS (last choice). Go to OPTIONS, uncheck styles, but make sure that outline levels is checked. Hit OK

step 4: Have a look at what is created and report back to us what problems you are having

step 5: Resolve to learn about styles and headings because building a TOC without them is a huge, huge PITA

Thanks
    Hi jlkirk,

There are lots of tutorials on the web for doing this. For example, see Shauna Kelly's article.

Her instructions are for a well-styled document. Did you create the report? Did you use styles at all? It seems, from your comments about styles, that you may not have.

However, you also said you had trouble capturing "all of the sections" in the toc. Does this mean you captured some? Perhaps you've inserted the TOC field with the default settings -- that is, you've captured sections I., A. and 2.?

I think we may need a little more info before offering suggestions. Can you post part of your report (sanitized, of course)?

Best, Kim

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Kim,Here is a sample.Still not even able to create a TOC.Thanks for your help.Jeff
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Jeff

You need to use styles for your content. Have a look at the link Kim gave you and explore the Shauna Kelly website for guidance on using styles (eg http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...numbering.html ).
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Thanks
    Hi Jeff,

I agree with Andrew. By far the easiest way to create a TOC is to take the automated path provided by Word.

This ease relies on using the Heading X styles built into Word for the numbered paragraphs. If you do, the TOC can be instantly inserted using Word's Table of Contents feature in 2007/2010, or created from scratch in about a minute.

This will require you to overhaul your current document. If you are in a time crunch, you can manually add TC Entry codes to each of the items you want included in a Table of Contents. This is a lot of work (and tedious, too). There are instructions here. Unless you're under a killer deadline, don't waste it coding.

Use it learning about styles. This single thing will make Word easier and faster to use as well as creating documents that will be clean and consistent. You'll find info on styles at Shauna Kelly's site too, as well as all over the Internet. If you find yourself confused about any aspect of styles and/or numbering, post here and you will get a ton of assistance and good advice.

Best, Kim