New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 PC sign-in to Windows 2000 Server no longer working

I have been using Win7 on my Dell Precision M6400 laptop for a couple of months without problems (including connecting to our W2K server without issue) till last night - since then the Win2K Server won't accept any login from my Win7 laptop. I can access the internet and I can access other PC's (using WinXP) on our network and I can access the Win2K Server from my laptop using pcAnywhere as usual, but I can no longer log in to use the Server's drives! Other users (all using WinXP) are not affected. In trying to fix the problem (in case the password had got scrambled), I have reset the password on the Server to ensure it is identical to what I am entering on my laptop but to no avail. After a few attempts I get locked out and have to reset the lockout on the Server. I have rebooted the Server (once), and have rebooted my laptop multiple times to ensure it's not something transient. I have tried logging in as a different user, I have also tried mapping a drive using NET USE ... always the same response: "Login failure: unknown user name or bad password". Since the user name eventually gets locked out, that is correct. Since I reset the password to something simple temporarily to ensure no typos (and no CAPS lock is not on), the password I type is guaranteed to be correct. I also tried suppressing the password. All to no avail.

Obviously something has changed but I have no idea what. Nothing was being done on the Win2K Server (nor has anything been done for months and of course it has had no Windows Updates for 2 years), so presumably it is not the Server itself at fault. On my Win7 laptop, just before the problem started, I had a problem with connecting an e-Sata drive and had to do a System Restore to 24 hours before (which took out the latest Win Update, which seems totally unrelated - after all, everything worked fine up to and for 12 hours after the Win Upgrade). But somehow something must have got changed! But what?

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Dell this morning and checked all the hardware (with their diagnostics) and BIOS settings, and checked some software settings but to no avail. Since Win 7 wasn't provided by Dell (it is a genuine Win 7 downloaded from MS - we had an MSDN subscription at the time), the support guy was reluctant to help with software settings (so in desperation I have asked for a quote for a Dell copy of Win 7 configured for the M6400, if that's the only way to get their help to fix this problem).

I worked on this for several hours last night and all day today (trawling the web, trying alternatives) but can't find any way of fixing it. It is as though the laptop has suddenly decided of its own accord to encrypt the passwords sent to the Server in a way the Server doesn't understand, but I can't find anything in the Registry that corresponds to anything I have found on the web.

Has anyone seen such a thing before, or have any idea what else I can try, please?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    Can you login to the server using Remote Desktop, or to put it in another way, have you tried accessing the Server using the problematic account from other computer or through other means? Also, have you tried to access the server from the same laptop, using another account?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your interest in helping, ruirib.

The Server is working totally normally for everyone else here, so I don't believe it is a Server problem. Besides, nothing out of the ordinary was being done on the Server at the time (nor for months beforeheand).

Being Server 2000, Remote Desktop isn't available on it but I can access it using pcAnywhere (similar in principle to RD) from my laptop, so it's not a connection issue per se. Also I can access the internet (e.g. now, on this site) so it's not a network issue. I just can't do things like map drives on the server anymore.

I have tried accessing the Server (i.e. mapping drives) form my laptop using other login names but get the same results, i.e. "bad password".

For info, since my original post, I have restored my laptop to an even earlier Restore Point, days before the problem arose, and still no joy.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldQ View Post
    Being Server 2000, Remote Desktop isn't available on it
    How to Enable a Remote Desktop on Server 2000

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, when I checked out RD on the Server, I found it is already enabled, but in Application Server mode, which is apparently incompatible with Remote Administration mode - and if I try to change it, I get a warning that half-a-dozen application services may well stop working. Rather than risk this, I'd rather continue to use pcAnywhere for administering the Server, especially since I can still access it from my laptop.

But wait ... although when trying to access the Server from another (XP) PC using RDC, I get "The remote computer disconnected the session becuase of an error in the licensing protocol" (which I assumed was related to the above), when I try to access the Server with RDC from my own laptop, I get in using my own name/password. Wierd.

However, that hasn't changed anything concerning my attempts to connect to the Server drives from my laptop. Obviously RDC and drive mapping pass the name/password in subtly different ways!

Hmmm, when I use "Map network drive" (from Windows) or "net use" (from CMD prompt):
    - from other PC's, I don't need to use any credentials, even though the person's login name on the server is not the same as their Windows login;
    - from my laptop, it always wants credentials, which it never accepts, whether I use my own, someone else's or the Server admin name/password.
    Is there perhaps something on the Win2K Server which is locking out my laptop, even though my login name is not locked out or disabled?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well I have finally tracked down the problem , and I sure hope the solution helps someone else ...

Although both the laptop and the server get their times from the same internet time server (and both are allegedly using the same time zones and daylight time settings), there was a time difference of about a second between them. The documentation on the MS site says that logins won't work if there is a difference of more than 30 minutes, so I hadn't considered that as a possible casue.

However, after doing (from my laptop, using the CMD prompt):
    NET TIME \\servername /set
    suddenly I can log in again !!!

I am wondering whether despite what was being displayed on my laptop (which looks no different now) something had got corrupted in the time settings somewhere, which were corrected by using NET TIME.

Anyway I am much relieved - I can now access the server properly and send/receive emails again. Whew!

My thanks to everyone who spent time reading and thinking about the problem, and especially to those who made suggestions!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,010 Posts
    I am glad you solved it and thank you for posting the solution.