Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Google ends support for IE8

As per thread title, from 15th November Google will withdraw support for IE8. When a user attempts to access Google services using IE8 they will be see a message recommending that they upgrade their browser.

Read about it in a Google App blog post here.

Although Windows 7 runs IE9 and Windows 8 runs IE10, there are many users still on XP. These users are limited to IE8. After November 15th, XP users must use FireFox, Safari or Chrome to access Google services.

This is good news for the people pushing standards compliance. However, in a corporate environments, XP remains on a large number of desktops and the migration process to Windows 7 is not complete yet. Often on these corporate systems, IE is preferred (and sometimes other browsers are disabled) because Internet Explorer's behaviour can be controlled by group policy.

A quick look around this afternoon, suggests that using Chrome Frames for Internet Explorer may provide a workaround for these corporate environments, but I haven't tested this, so can't recommend it.
    Last edited by Tinto Tech; 2012-09-15 at 09:48. Reason: Make thread title clearer
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

Thanks
    As I read the announcement, it is support for Google Apps which is being ceased.

Presumably this has nothing whatever to do with Google Search, or possibly even the Google Search Toolbar in IE8.

But does this mean no Google Maps, Google Images, Google Groups, Google Translate, etc, from within IE8?
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Yes, that's right Google Apps. This includes Gmail, Docs, Calendar and presumably anything else that requires a Google account. A lot of small businesses use Google Apps for inexpensive collaborative cloud-based services, so Google Groups I would have expected to be affected too. Domestic Gmail and Picasa etc could also be problem. Even things like Blogger and Google Play (for Android),

Not sure about Maps, or Translate. However, both of those have extensions for business use, so maybe ok until you need to use the extensions in a Google account Even YouTube if uploading or accessing through an account could be affected?

The good news: I'm assuming services such as Search and Toolbar should be ok. No reason why they should be affected, but it is an assumption.

A simple solution for those on stuck XP is to use an up to date version of Chrome, Safari or Firefox. On the other hand, one of my concerns is commercial users on XP using IE enforced through group policy...Can't wait for the howls of angst.
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993