Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

What is a logical drive?

Hi,

Trying to create a new partition on my Vista Home Premium SP2 laptop, in order to experiment with Windows 8, I downloaded and installed Mini Tool Partition Wizard 7.

Instead of the expected two drives, C and E, there were four as follows;

Drive Capacity File System Type Status
    *: 39 Mb FAT Primary Hidden
    E:Recovery 14.65 GB NFTS Primary None
    C:OS 120GB NFTS Primary Active and Boot
    *: 97.5GB Unallocated Logical None

This reminded me that 2 – 3 years ago I created a new partition in order to try Linux, but abandoned the idea when Ted or another respected lounger stated that Linux was too complex.

I have named the unallocated space D: Windows 8, but am unable to change the type from Primary to Logical, and have no idea what a logical drive is, or why the status is still None. Will it be possible to run W8 on it?

Also, I am intrigued as to what this hidden space with the old FAT file system is for. Is it a virus of some sort?

TIA
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-09-15 at 14:09. Reason: Line up the table correctly, but doesn't work

Thanks
    OK, here it is.

The small 39 Mb hidden is a system reserved partition. It's so small do not worry about it. The system uses this for I believe the MBR.

The 14.65 Recovery Partition is the factory recovery. This will take your PC back to what it looked like when new, minus anything you have done since. In my system, since I do Imaging, I deleted this partition and put the space into C Drive. Simple to do with Partition Wizard. Simply choose the partition and delete, then resize C by dragging the left border into the unallocated space to the front border of the unallocated space. The PC will reboot and move your C Drive OS into the front on the new larger partition.
    Note: others might say to save this space in case you wish to sell the PC and restore it to the original manufacturer's OS. I say no way, I want to use this space. I suppose you could create an Image of the Recovery Partition for later use. This is 14.65 Gb of valuable space.

I assume you know how to drag the borders in Partition Wizard to resize a partition. If you move the left border to make a partition bigger in front of the partition, the PC will reboot and move the data from it's present partition to the front of the new larger partition. I have done this numerous times and it works very well. You can just as easily drag the left border as the right border. This is where the data has to be moved. If you make the partition smaller like my shot from the right, the PC does not need to boot to accomplish this as there is no data to move.

PartitionWizard.jpg

The C Drive is where your Vista is located.

Use Partition Wizard to delete the Unallocated Logical partition so it just shows unallocated space. This is where Win 8 will go.

Boot to the DVD you burned the Win 8 ISO file onto, choose Custom Install and point toward this unallocated space. Win 8 will automatically format this partition properly and install Win 8 here.

DONE!
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-15 at 15:07.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-09-15)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your help, Ted, but I see now that it will not be possible to put W8 on the laptop.

After setting language and time zone the next page stated that a media driver was missing – it could be anything for DVD, USB or the hard drive. Really helpful! It was not found on the original disk with the drivers, so I moved on hoping it could be sorted out later.

The next page asked for the registration code for the system, saying it would be in 5 groups of 5. Unfortunately, the code with the reinstallation disk is in groups of 2,3,4,5 and 6, only 20 digits in total and with the hyphens in the wrong places. So there is no way forward from here.

There is probably room on my wife’s PC, but I will have limited access. Certainly this XP is not up to the job, it had insufficient resources to support Vista when checked long ago.

George

Thanks
    Which version of Win 8 are you trying to install? If it's Win 8 RP you do not need to enter a registration key. If it's Win 8 RTM the key is on the download page. You do have to be a member of MSDN or Technet to use this edition. There is a free membership available on MSDN. This is what I used. Using the 90 day free Win 8 Evaluation Enterprise edition you also do not need a key, but it is only good for 90 days.

Starting with Win 8 RP, MS is requiring a higher security level. It does require NX and XD support in your CPU. I do not know if this is your problem or it's something else.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for the record, I was trying to install W8 RP.

Following your posting I made further unsuccessful attempts to install without entering a registration code. In the case of the laptop the ISO seems to have stopped working, as three or four attempts all ended with it booting to Vista, although after a longer than usual delay. When I tried the same disk in the wife’s desktop it worked, but not beyond the registration screen.

So the problem is most likely due to PAE, NX etc. I haven’t checked further, as a few weeks ago when unable to install W8 in VirtualBox, I eventually checked the Intel processor and discovered it did not support virualisation, so is unlikely to support PAE.

At this point I lost interest, as reading info about W8 on the MS site revealed that everything seems to be in the so-called cloud, plus one apparently has to buy new applications from MS.

If this is so, I’ll need to buy a new PC with W7 and make sure I’ve mastered Linux before MS stop supporting Windows as we know it.

But thanks for your assistance Ted.

George

Thanks
    Sorry we couldn't help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-09-17)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by georgelee View Post
    At this point I lost interest, as reading info about W8 on the MS site revealed that everything seems to be in the so-called cloud, plus one apparently has to buy new applications from MS.
    I am sorry, this is incorrect. You can have all the programs you have now on W7, working the same way you do on W7. Accessing cloud storage is available and made easier, but only if you want to.

Not sure what programs you are talking about, that need to be bought from Microsoft. Windows 8 apps will be bought through the store, desktop apps need not to. Again, everything regarding desktop apps will be the same as with Windows 7, just more efficient, actually.

The cloud, though, is here to stay. It will be inevitable, in all OSes, especially as smartphones and tablets gain deeper penetration and people want to sync content between their devices. Not being a fan of cloud only storage for documents and stuff, I want to use cloud storage for multiple reasons: sharing between devices, sharing with other people. It's actually useful and makes a difference. I have found myself creating OneNote notebooks stored on Skydrive, to ease the sharing between my desktop, laptop and phone and also with co-workers.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ruirib,
    Thanks for the explanation, if I misunderstood the situation it’s due to the inadequacy of the video about W8 on the MS site.

Not sure I understand the difference between W8 and desktop applications, but the video gave the impression that nothing was going to work unless downloaded from MS. It seems this is incorrect, so things are not as bad as I thought.

However, I believe MS are trying to push Office, etc. as rental apps rather than installing on one’s system, meaning it is necessary to be online in order to do any work. This knowledge may have contributed to my misunderstanding about W8.

Clearly the cloud is attractive for many people, such as yourself, but it has nothing to offer me. I don’t use a mobile phone, except occasionally on holiday, and never sync my wife’s PC with mine, and being retired, there is no workplace to communicate with. For me the cloud means inconvenience and greatly reduced security.

George

PS I still don't know what a logical drive is.
    Last edited by georgelee; 2012-09-17 at 06:33. Reason: Added PS

Thanks
    George, as Rui states any desktop app you presently use will most likely work on Win 8 assuming you can install it. I believe what the video shows is the Modern UI. Yes on this UI you would download the apps from the Win 8 App Store. These apps are produced mainly by independent developers. As yet, most of these apps are fairly basic.

The Desktop UI on the other hand is very powerful, similarly to Win 7, except that in most cases it is somewhat quicker than Win 7. It seems less resource intensive than Win 7 as well. I have often said that when I return to Win 7 (very seldom any more) I am constantly thinking, "Come on, do something". This is on a very clean and customized Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-09-18)

Administrator
    Thanks
    First, on logical drives, here is a great explanation: http://www.ehow.com/about_4699381_what-logical-drive.html

S
    econd, Windows 8 introduced a new the concept of app, which we can simply call Metro app, with a different UI and a different coding model. These apps are usually accessed from the new start screen (although that is not mandatory). The "old" apps, however, are still supported and many apps will need to be developed using the old model (due to security restrictions and such). Even Office is one of these "desktop" apps. All existing apps are desktop apps, accessible from the desktop, as we are all used to do with Windows 7.

On Office, sorry, you are wrong again. Although a subscription model will likely be offered, a classical purchase model will most likely be available. For MSDN and Technet subscribers, the traditional Office installer is available and will function precisely as it has through all these years.

I am sorry, I disagree again. The cloud by no means offers reduced security. Regarding backup of your data, it is precisely the opposite. Keeping local and cloud storage is probably the safest and easiest way to ensure the safety of your critical data, regardless of what may happen (and here you can include major events - fire, flooding, etc, which can always occur and be a threat to your local data).

Thanks
    RUI
    On Office, sorry, you are wrong again. Although a subscription model will likely be offered, a classical purchase model will most likely be available. For MSDN and Technet subscribers, the traditional Office installer is available and will function precisely as it has through all these years
    I'm not so sure George was wrong on this one. What he said was Micrososoft is trying to push Office as a rental app and I believe that is true. While you are correct that the traditional desktop app will be available, pricing has not been announced and may be prohibitively expensive for the masses. It will be interesting to see if they include a Home and Student version as they have in the past.

Jerry

Thanks
    The older versions we already have seem to install and work nicely. I see no reason to update Office from an earlier version.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-09-17 at 13:50.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jerry,

Quote Originally Posted by jwitalka View Post
    I'm not so sure George was wrong on this one. What he said was Micrososoft is trying to push Office as a rental app and I believe that is true. While you are correct that the traditional desktop app will be available, pricing has not been announced and may be prohibitively expensive for the masses. It will be interesting to see if they include a Home and Student version as they have in the past.

Jerry
    This was what George wrote:
    However, I believe MS are trying to push Office, etc. as rental apps rather than installing on one’s system, meaning it is necessary to be online in order to do any work
    So, his perception is indeed wrong, IMO. You won't need to be online with the traditional install model and it may even be possible you won't need to be online with the subscription based model (I am not sure as I am no longer running the 2013 Beta).

I also think it is quite premature to state the usual model of purchasing a license with no subscription will have a prohibitive price. Nothing is known at the moment and users will surely have present the current prices, when deciding whether the subscription is worthwhile. People are usually wise with their money and many users have current versions of Office, which they may well decide to keep if Microsoft's new offerings aren't interesting enough.

Thanks
    RUI, you're correct that the part about being necessary to be on line is wrong but Microsoft is really pushing the cloud option in the latest version of Office as well as the subscription model. I think the gist of what he said is correct.

Jerry

Administrator
    Thanks
    Jerry,

There isn't even a next version of Office, but for a beta. Maybe we should really define what is meant by a "cloud option", to make sure we do not convey wrong ideas.

Windows 8 has a web based installer, as Office 2013 Beta does, as Visual Studio 2012 has. As far as I can tell, the Office features will be the same, with the traditional installation as they will be with Office installation done from the web. So if feature wise they will be the same, maybe we really need to make it clear what we are describing as the cloud option...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast