Star Lounger
    Thanks

SATA II v Sata III

What is the difference between SATA II and SATA II. If I have SATA II what am I missing; is there a real speed advantage

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Probably not. If you had an SSD then SATA III may be of value, On a mechanical disk there is more delay in moving the heads around than you make up moving data over a fast bus. Ultimately the computer will be waiting for you much more than you waiting for the computer.

cheers, Paul

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Makes sense. I was about to swap out my SATA II USB 2 based board for a newer one. I can wait, of course. SSDs are not on my horizon yet (cost).

Thanks
    Not with a mechanical hard drive, probabaly not even with an SSD. And probably not even with several high performance SSDs in a RAID setup.
    The only way to break SATA speed is with a bootable PCIe SSD, but there is still way too much complexity in it for the average user.

SATA 3.0 is a bit of a joke, it's speed is not really usable, or at least not anything you'll likely see.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I have a SATA3 SSD on a SATA2 notebook, & it's plenty fast enough for me, have a usable browser inside of 15 seconds. Honestly, I don't see how much faster it can go. Much of these top speeds are in theory only, probably very few users ever reaches them. Kind of like USB3, I've never came close to the advertised speeds for backup/restore, though it's faster than USB2.

But if I were to buy/build another computer, I'd want the SATA3 MB for it's modern features.

Cat
    My System Specs:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/N...gWw3zT1A30RkV3 MSI Notebook (OEM Win 7 Pro x64)

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/8...3hQlSkXzuDfbKb Dell XPS 8700 w/Windows 8

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have two SSD drives Sata 3 compatible, one is connected to my laptop which only has Sata 2 connection and the other is connected to my desktop via its Sata 3 connections.
    On benchmarking the desktop is nearly twice as fast as my laptop even though they are the same SSD spec and make. Given that there will also be a difference to the bus speeds on both machines it seems to suggest that yes Sata 3 is quite a bit faster than Sata 2
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Did that benchmark use real world simulation or raw speed? Raw speed will always show an advantage for SATA 3 where the former will show disk performance.

cheers, Paul