Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Live Mail problems

I sent an email to a non existent address. Program will not let me delete this email when it tries to send new mail. How can I get rid of it?
    Last edited by Joer22; 2012-09-16 at 08:40.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Joer22
    WSL.JPG

Open the 'Outbox' highlight it then you can delete it by clicking the red cross on the 'Home' tab.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Close Windows Live Mail then use Windows Explorer to delete the message from C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Mail\Outbox.

(Replace [username] with your login name.)

Bruce

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For some reason I do not have an outbox!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I found the outbox where it shouldn;t be. It worked ok!!

Thanks to both of you!!

Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    My solution is to get rid of Windows Live Mail!!!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I guess you have to ask yourself how useful is your solution.

If one doesn't use WLM, and Thunderbird in said to be at end of life, which email client do you suggest?

Dave S.

Thanks
    Is this WLM 2011 you are using? I would uninstall the WLE 2011 suite and install the same apps of the WLE 2012 suite. Several fixes, seems to work better.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSchell View Post
    I guess you have to ask yourself how useful is your solution.

If one doesn't use WLM, and Thunderbird in said to be at end of life, which email client do you suggest?

Dave S.
    I am using Windows Mail in Windows 7 and am very very happy with it. To find out how to do this, just google for SevenForums Windows Mail tutorial. In that thread, I think page 125 of it, I read that it will also wok in Windows 8 and it isn't hard to accomplish that either. There is a successor to SevenForums called EightForums, (saying this without looking it up again), and in there are the instructions for Windows 8. As you probably know, Windows Mail is the upgraded Outlook Express that worked with Vista. The two are nearly identical. The thing to remember is to keep your message folders to about 5000 msgs each and when one exceeds that just create a new folder and put the older messages in it. And: back up!

I have also posted the links for all this in previous messages here in this group (not in this thread).

Note that Medico (above) and others say that WLM 2012 works a lot better than the two versions I struggled with - 2011 and 2009 .... to me, both were truly crappy dysfunctional email programs (clients).

You might consider giving 2012 a shot before going to Windows Mail, or, just throw live mail overboard and go right to Windows Mail. No more being hooked to The Cloud, no more "reminders" no more sign in prompts, you can forward picture-filled emails, you can reduce sizes of images you wish to email without resorting to workaround tricks. Works like a mail program ought to work, and doesn't have crazy exploded menus, just nice neat normal ones and a nice neat toolbar with only what you want and need on it. Hooray!

On the other hand, you are not the OP in this thread and maybe you LOVE WLM and in that case, I am glad for you. I hated it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kelliann1 For This Useful Post:

ruosChalet (2012-10-15)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kelliann1 View Post
    You might consider giving 2012 a shot before going to Windows Mail, or, just throw live mail overboard and go right to Windows Mail. No more being hooked to The Cloud, no more "reminders" no more sign in prompts, you can forward picture-filled emails, you can reduce sizes of images you wish to email without resorting to workaround tricks. Works like a mail program ought to work, and doesn't have crazy exploded menus, just nice neat normal ones and a nice neat toolbar with only what you want and need on it. Hooray!

On the other hand, you are not the OP in this thread and maybe you LOVE WLM and in that case, I am glad for you. I hated it.
    You're right, I'm not the OP, and I do not LOVE WLM (at least v 2011); it just decided not to let me see my contacts.
    I didn't even know there was a 2012, nor did I know about Windows Mail.
    I will try them both.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Dave S.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSchell View Post
    You're right, I'm not the OP, and I do not LOVE WLM (at least v 2011); it just decided not to let me see my contacts.
    I didn't even know there was a 2012, nor did I know about Windows Mail.
    I will try them both.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

Dave S.
    I am sorry you had trouble with WLM 2011. It absolutely stinks (for my useage, can't speak for anyone else). I hated the multiple inboxes, and hated that if I moved the outbox UP to a spot above all the inboxes, it jumped right back to the bottom when I reopened the program. It would not let me resize photos to smaller files before I could attach and send, and it kept demanding that I sign in and use Skydrive (I did turn it off but it kept coming back), which is SO unprofessional when you are sending photos to someone for business purposes and you are asking them to sign into a stupid internet service to see what you sent, as though you were sending pix to a family member and put them up on Flickr or something. I hated the gigantic exploded menus I had to search through to use something. I hated everything about it.

Now as I said, Medico and others did say that WLM 2012 is much better, so, if you want a new program, you could definitely check that out. But if your contacts are somehow disconnected from live mail right now, I don't know if installing the new program, oh, I mean "client", is going to automatically reconnect them. If you can find your contacts (for me they were NOT listed under the start orb's selections like they seemed to be for others), it would be good to export them to a CSV file so that you have them safely stored on an external drive in a format that can be imported into some other mail program. There's an export button on the contacts toolbar.

I found mine under c:/Users/[user name]/Contacts in Windows Explorer

If you were an Outlook Express fan, though, then Windows Mail is your program, and you can go with it without fearing that it won't work on Windows 7 or that it will be unstable or anything else you might hear or think. It works like a champ. As I said, don't allow a zillion messages to pile up in one folder - that's just plain old good housekeeping - and don't forget to back up your mail files. All that works just as it did in OE. You will find that there is an "Imported Messages" heading with multiple file folders beneath it when you first import your mail stores (which is done exactly as it was in OE), but all you have to do is move each of them up beneath Local Folders and then delete the now empty Imported Messages folder.

I believe Medico said you can also do that with WLM 2012, btw. (see, Medico, I paid attention to what you said).

You will find you can no longer compact a single folder, unfortunately, which is what I did a lot to get rid of empty space caused by moving and deleting messages, so now you have to compact all folders (as far as I know -- no one's told me anything different). And there is a new junk mail folder. I have been unable to purge the Blocked Senders list - it now resides under Junk Mail - you reach that with a right click on any message - but there is a convoluted way to fix that problem. I just haven't tackled it.

Other than that, Windows Mail works exactly like OE and in truth, IS OE with a different name and those few different features I just mentioned.

Microsoft has instructions on how to export and import your message store, rules, signatures, and accounts for OE on its website. Use those for Windows Mail - they are the same. You can export your messages out of WLM and then import into WM. I have both running on this computer, no problem, and they do not conflict with each other. I no longer use WLM but on rare occasions I have opened it for one reason or another. I checked off Make WM default Mail program in Options. Any new WM message box that I plan to type into is a totally blank window for about 1 to 1.5 seconds probably due to some background scrambling around, though. But NBD, I could care less about that.

Use this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...dows-mail.html

Just ignore all that stuff with the pink background. Seems to be some bit of political correctness they needed to get in there. The older tutorial, that I used, is on page 123 of that thread. For Windows 8, see Endeavor's post #1247 on page 125 of the thread. It will refer you to the windows 8 forum. Here's his post in EightForums:
    http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-...html#post91690

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to reinstall Win7 a couple weeks ago and just now realised that it's Windows Mail 2012 instead of 2011. I can't see a difference, is there?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gomek View Post
    I had to reinstall Win7 a couple weeks ago and just now realised that it's Windows Mail 2012 instead of 2011. I can't see a difference, is there?
    I was using WLM version 2009 and refused to update to the newer versions as they had too many bugs. These have been resolved in 2012 and it works well, so I'm using it now. It doesn't matter how it looks as long as it works.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @kelliann and DaveShell,

Yes, especially now with SlartyBart's new tutorial which endeavor helped on, you can install WM on Windows 7 very easily!! And if you do have any problems just post there for good/quick answers. I also don't have Windows 8 but if I ever get it I will definately use their tutorial.

Please don't think that I'm dismissing the Lounge, I love this place, it's just that for installing WM they are 'spot on'.

Lounger
    Thanks

I don't know what you are all talking about

I have two computers with Windows 7, one from HP and one from Dell. Neither has Windows Mail on it. Microsoft actually says that neither Outlook Express nor Windows Mail is included in Windows 7. Microsoft then recommended Windows Live Mail as the subsitute. I preferred Hotmail which is no doubt the same thing. Now Microsoft wants us to convert to Outlook.Com which is supposed to be an improvement over Live Mail. Apparently some people were able to download Windows Mail from their Vista computer to Windows 7 but I never knew about that and would not have been to do that anyway. So I do not know where you get Windows Mail in Windows 7. What I do not like about Hotmail is that my mail is only in the cloud, for all practical purposes, and I would like to have it on my computer as well. Actually the mail is on the computer but in a very obscure location and very difficult to get at, and I do not think it is reliable storage.

So again, what other Email clients do you all recommend?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast