3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks

Notification Area Cleanup

Previous thread about unintalled program and AVG left on the notification list and context menu etc. Did get it off the context menu with program called Lockhunter. I then found the instructions below to clean up the unwanted icons. I wanted to check here before I deleted anything

(wife says I scream like a little girl when deleting stuff).

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

For Windows Vista and 7:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify

3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 2 Binary values:
    IconStreams
    PastIconsStream

Windows Vista and 7:

4. Delete both of them and log off or restart your system. It'll clear the "Hide Inactive Icons" history and all those unwanted icons from uninstalled programs will be removed from the list.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    That's a standard procedure recommended by Microsoft on this page for curing notification icon issues, but alternatively you can use their automated Fix It which does the same:

System icons do not appear in the notification area

Bruce

3 Star Lounger Not Brightest Bulb's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brightest Bulb View Post
    Previous thread about unintalled program and AVG left on the notification list and context menu etc. Did get it off the context menu with program called Lockhunter. I then found the instructions below to clean up the unwanted icons. I wanted to check here before I deleted anything

(wife says I scream like a little girl when deleting stuff).

1. Type regedit in RUN dialog box and press Enter. It'll open Registry Editor.

2. Now go to following key:

For Windows Vista and 7:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \TrayNotify

3. In right-side pane, you'll see following 2 Binary values:
    IconStreams
    PastIconsStream

Windows Vista and 7:

4. Delete both of them and log off or restart your system. It'll clear the "Hide Inactive Icons" history and all those unwanted icons from uninstalled programs will be removed from the list.
    OK, did the above a while back and now no AVG in context menu and gone completely from notification area.

Last night I got into regedit and found 2 AVG folders "AVG" and AVG Secure Search". Can I delete those folders while in regedit or not.

Now everything is working properly on PC, MSE installed and updating etc all is good. Since there does not appear to be any problems can I just leave them as is.