3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No gadgets allowed any morem - is there a solution?

Having used Win 8 RP for a while whith my gadgets loaded (CPU, Clock, calender, App launcher), I am extremely disappointed that I can't load them up in the final version. Has anyone tried to find a way around this or can they suggest alternatives for me?

I am running the Enterprise version from MSDN.

Alan

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gadgets have been found to be vulnerable to security threats in win 7 and earlier versions of windows. Win 8 RP is supposedly not affected. You are not using the Final Version of win 8. You are testing the Release To Manufacturing (RTM) Enterprise version that is for business use and expires after 90 days of use. Several of the features in Release Preview are not available in Enterprise such as Media Center and Gadgets. Features could still change before the actual final release in October. Win 8 Pro will be the consumer version. It will have Media Center available for download. If you want the features now, go back and reinstall the release preview. I did to get Media Center back.

The Gadget Gallery has been closed, but you can still right click on the win 8 Desktop (RP version only) and select a few gadgets.
    Last edited by mlg63; 2012-09-18 at 11:20. Reason: added info

Lounger
    Thanks
    alan sh: Yes, there is a solution. Four caveats before I provide the link.

1) Microsoft terminated Sidebar because a recent analysis of gadgets demonstrated multiple potential security breaches. If you use the following link and install a remnant Sidebar on 8, please understand that there is risk, although I have yet to learn of a straightforward quantification.

2) You will need to download Sidebar in the correct bitness to match your 8 — 32-bit or 64-bit.

3) In the case of 64-bit Windows 8, the 32-bit version of Sidebar does not work. I have found no analysis why or fix for it. The 64-bit version is flawless, running all gadgets.

4) Quite apart from the security issues of running Sidebar / gadgets, this download is a hack. My advice: have an image backup (validated) of your 8 system prior to attempting the installation.

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thr...-32bit-Version

Good luck!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansPeter View Post

4) Quite apart from the security issues of running Sidebar / gadgets, this download is a hack. My advice: have an image backup (validated) of your 8 system prior to attempting the installation.
    I think this is a very important point that needs re-emphasizing.

It is entirely possible that the links in the thread on the My Digital Life forum could at any time become tainted by malicious software. Even if clean today (and I have no reason to suspect that they are not clean), they, or similar links could be dangerous to an installation.

As with all downloaded software, ensure you have a full image backup as recommended by HansPeter in the post above and only install software that you are comfortable is clean. Be aware that these hacked features will have no support from Microsoft when Windows 8 is finally released and could be broken at any time - they also may break other functionality.

"Let the buyer beware"
    In God we trust; all others must bring data.

- William Edwards Deming. 1900 - 1993

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for this. Where can I find the 64 bit version? The pointer only seems to have the 32 bit version. or, should I be getting it from my Windows 7 system?

I will re-install the Win 8 Pro and take off Enterprise.

I understand the risks involved - but I rely on my gadgets for productivity gains.

regards

Alan

Thanks
    Win 8 Pro is not yet available. It will not be generally available until Oct. 26th. Since you are using the Win 8 Ent. Eval. copy I suspect you do not presently have a paid subscription to TechNet or MSDN. If that is the case you will in all probability have to wait until then like most of us.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do have a paid up MSDN subscription. Installing Pro now. I've also found this site http://8gadgetpack.bplaced.net/ which may do what I want.

Alan

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    And after testing, it does EXACTLY what I want. Yippee!!

Alan

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansPeter View Post
    alan sh: Yes, there is a solution. Four caveats before I provide the link.

When I am installing suspect software on Windows 8, which I do with wild abandon, I do not make any kind of backup, I don't even set restore points. When Windows 8 gets hosed, which it has, I just reinstall from the DVD. When I get to the appropriate point in the install, I delete and recreate the partitions, so that I am truly reinstalling from scratch.

Why? Because it is Test/Evaluation software, and I don't keep any sort of data on it that I care about.

So my advice is to treat the Test/Evaluation software as if that's what it is, don't keep anything important on it, don't bother to backup or image it, and don't be careful with it. Who cares. If you want to see what will happen, try it.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    The following link shows an easy way to add gadgets to Windows 8:

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-use-de...x0YW5ldC5uZXQ=

Regards, Roy
    OS Dual Boot Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit & Windows 7 Pro With SP1 64 bit. (Intel Core i7 2600K Processor LGA1155-Asus P867 Pro Motherboard-GTX550 Ti DirectCU Graphics Card-Memory 8GB)

Roy Whitethread