Lounger
    Thanks

Missing icons in tray

I suppose it's now called the Notification Area.

Sometimes, when I reboot the computer (laptop), one or more of my always-running programs does not show up in the Notification Area. This is fine if it is a background program that I don't use, but especially annoying if it is something like Clipboard Recorder or Everything which I use often.

I have my Notification Area set to Always show all icons and notifications on the Taskbar. No arrow to click, they are always all there, all the time. They never disappear or re-appear while the computer is running, or after it has been in Sleep mode. If everything is there, it stays there.

But if I do some update that requires the computer to be rebooted, sometimes (not always) one or more icons disappears. The program is still running! I want to make that clear: when checking with Task Manager, I can see the program is running. I just cannot access it. It appears in Processes, but not in Applications, so I can't "switch to" it.

Sometimes rebooting the computer again will cause all the icons to once again reappear. Sometimes I have to reboot a couple times before they are all there.

I have switched the Notification Area to not Always show icons... so that there is the arrow and the little box when you click it. But that didn't help. Switching it back, didn't help. I wonder if there is a "reload" type of option for the Area that it would just look around and go "oh, didn't see that before, just add it now" and bam, there's the missing icon(s). That would be handy. So probably unlikely, right?

Any quick fix for this? (I am using Home Premium, so please don't tell me to open gpedit, or whatever that handy tool is that comes with every other version except mine. )

Thanks!

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

4. The Following User Says Thank You to BruceR For This Useful Post:

StickBoy (2012-09-16)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks BruceR that worked. It's a little more involved than I was hoping for, but quicker than rebooting! It'll have to do.

New Lounger
    Thanks

missing icon,

I also get the problem. I have found that changing user and then back SOMETIMES makes the missing icon appear.