Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

The era of the PC is over

Thanks

PCs forever!

Just because the author elaborates that the sale of computer chips has recently focused toward cell phones and other devices doesn't indicate the end of the PC. It's a novelty and everyone already has a PC. With the introduction of new operating systems, intense gaming, and complex programs, people will retire their old desktop/laptop and buy a new one. When it comes down to business, a smart phone or a tablet will just not cut it. For play, the new technology reigns, but for work, education, and serious gaming, the PC still and will continue to rule for some time......just my opinion!

Dinosaurs ruled the earth for hundreds of thousands of years. The PC has been around, functionally, for only the past 50. I just don't see NASA hosting the next Jupiter mission with a tablet or a cell phone!

Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-09-16 at 16:42. Reason: spelling

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Jennif (2012-10-21)

Thanks
    I have to agree Maud. There are just way too many PC users that depend on more powerful devices than tablets or phones.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    IMHO Phones & Tablets are ok for media consumption and email for real work you need a good laptop or desktop. No keyboard = no production!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    From the article:
    "As a signpost on the road to the so-called Post-PC Era we’ve been hearing about for so many years, this one is pretty hard to argue with: As of this year, personal computers no longer consume the majority of the world’s memory chip supply.And while it may not come as a terrible surprise to anyone who’s been paying attention to personal technology trends during the last few years, there’s nothing like a cold, hard number to make the point crystal clear."

Wrong ... another example of how "facts" can be misinterpreted. The point is not "crystal clear", and is pretty easy to argue with.

The article's premise assumes PCs and tablets/smartphones have comparable life cycles and use comparable amounts of memory. But which has more memory, your computer or your smartphone? You can't draw conclusions from the amount of memory used when one class of device uses hard drives as its primary storage medium and the other uses additional memory for the same purpose. That's comparing apples to oranges.

And I'll bet the average person changes cell phones 3 or 4 times more frequently than his/her PC. Just because you don't buy a new PC every two years doesn't mean you aren't using it. The article is only looking at number of devices sold per given time, not number of devices actively in use at any one time.

If this is the end of the PC, what's going to happen to all those cubicle workers sitting in offices all over the country? Can you imagine cubicles full of workers pounding on tablets instead of PCs all day long? And what would compel IT departments to make that switch for their rank-and-file employees?

Thanks

Crystal Clear?

dg: I presume (and hope) you are referring to the author who has misinterpreted the facts?

Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-09-16 at 20:40. Reason: spelling

Thanks
    While I agree that a substantial desktop population will remain for "real work", it will be less as a percentage than the past. An awful lot of the younger generation have much less need for full blown desktops and use their smartphones and tablets exclusively instead. I got my wife an Ipad and she hasn't turned on her PC since......

Jerry

Thanks
    If by the PC Era we mean the era of the desktop, I think that is far from over, but rapidly becoming more of a niche. Laptops, notebooks and now pads and even smartphones are eroding the desktop share, while at the same time expanding the population by orders of magnitude. But all of those ARE computers, ARE personal and ergo all are in fact PCs.

The form factor or the I/O devices do not alter the definition of what constitutes a PC - it is a computer whose primary purpose is to satisfy the computing needs of an individual.

So the PC era is far from over; just more diversified. Is this a time of transition? Yes, for sure. Is it a new paradigm? Not really.

Jock

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jockmullin For This Useful Post:

bonalba (2012-09-27),kermidge (2012-09-27)

Thanks
    Hardly too much of a surprise...
    You've got a very large demographic of mostly younger people who are opting for more mobile devices like smart phones and tablets.
    I can hardly picture the younger generation sitting around on a desktop, or even a laptop anymore, texting their friends.
    These will be the ones flooding the marketplace, diluting the desktop market.
    And I also believe that many, if not most people, really don't have need/use for a full desktop, or at least not anything powerfull enough for me to consider a real desktop computer.

The traditional idea of the personal computer is changing and this shouldn't come as much of a surprise to anyone.
    Maybe we'll start seeing more quality & power go into desktops in keeping with those that actually need and use one.
    There will always be PC gamers and avid overclockers that opt for desktops, and if my guess is right, they'll want
    ever increasingly more powerful computers.

The only way to kill the desktop will be if one could get the power and ability of one in a handheld device, but that'll not happen anytime soon.
    Even if it does there will always be someone in need of something more.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-09-17 at 11:12.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Portability is great but requires light form factors and optimized energy use. Yes, smartphones will replace desktops for some users, for some tasks. Other tasks will most likely require a bigger or more versatile form factor (did I say surface?). A keyboard is needed for tasks where writing is more relevant. For sheer power, nothing replaces a desktop at the interesting price point we can get for it. I see no advantage of those 17" laptops over a desktop, other than being transportable. actually, I see disadvantages - price, performance (disks usually slower, SSDs still expensive).

The post PC era is a soundbyte that so many would be hip bloggers and tech journalists push around senselessly. Actually, seeing someone pull a catchphrase like that, makes me think they are not worth my time. ZDNet is a case in point. With a couple honorable exceptions, they seem to be caught by catch title fever, most times in the most possible dumb way.

Thanks
    Not everybody needs portability. That's what certain people want you to think; but it's just not true.

A laptop gives you portability, with all of the power of a desktop PC. Simply hook up a monitor or two, a mouse, and a keyboard, and you're good to go.

If you don't need portability, you can use a desktop, rather than a laptop, computer. You won't have any battery issues, and it's a lot easier to get the dust out, add memory or HD, etc.

Since you can log remotely into the "cloud", you don't really need portability in most cases; you just need an adequate workstation with a real keyboard and mouse.

It will be a very long while before the traditional computer (desktop / laptop) dies.

Thanks
    The market is a bit skewed, it appears to be reflecting a very large demographic of people who are not doing any real
    computer related work. And Apple has managed to capitalize on this, perhaps to a greater degree than most anyone else.

It's remains debatable whether these devices should even be called computers. (more like social and entertainment devices)
    It would appear that the article would have you believe in a sense that these are actual computers.

If Microsoft is indeed begining to loose their vast dominance due to the fact that they have traditionally held the desktop market, they'll likely maintain and grow their Office and server products and remain highly relevant for the foreseeable future irregardless.

But it just goes to show that there is a VAST number of people who don't really need a computer because they aren't really doing anything
    with them. At least not anything that a smartphone or tablet can't do.

This is all a bit misleading too because many, myself included, will require both, and MS has yet to make any real inroads into this portable market.
    MS had better get it's act together and start competing seriously in this market or they will get left behind in more than just a single market.

It's a bit impetuous for an article to suggest the PC is on it's way out, but in certain markets Microsoft is being shown the door.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    I'll bet that behind just about every tablet/smartphone in the field is a desktop/laptop in the bedroom/office. I'd like to see those statistics!

Thanks
    Hey All,

Here's an interesting perspective although only tangentially related to the discussion.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    My two cents

Also something to think about.......almost 50% of desktop users are still using rather old OS's and outdated hardware.......the XP machines. At some point in the future, they will be replaced. With what is the issue.
    No doubt new sales versus use is going to be skewed when factoring in this situation.......new sales of desktops does not directly reflect use statistics, while mobile market sales are advancing rapidly from both new hardware/software advancements and the the filling of voids in usage.

I've been noticing these voids filled beyond personal use, as I suspect most of you do, also.
    My Terminex and heating and cooling service agents are using tablets now in servicing, estimates and billing. And with the last furnace service, he emailed the copy of the bill being charged, as I wrote the check.
    My insurance adjuster used a tablet to figure out hail damage last year.

I think mobile computing has a bright and growing future in the business realm because it fill a void, not because it replaces a desktop.

However, I don't own one because I have no need at this time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast