5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

New network card not working

I reformatted a drive and put back Windows XP Pro. The onboard NIC didn't have a driver found, so I put in a brand new NetGear and it shows that it's "connected", but I can't hit the internet. Ping can't connect to anywhere. I've tried DHCP and hard coding config, ipconfig /flushdns, the ipconfig /renew returns errors.
    The NIC has link lights, so the connection is good.

What next...?

P.S. I can't even get it to ping the router, even though it says connected. If I hardcode an IP address it shows connected, if I use DHCP, it won't even show connected. I've also tried two different cables in two different slots on the router.
    Last edited by kzkz; 2012-09-16 at 19:59. Reason: Updates

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, kzkz. Please don't be offended if I suggest something which you've already tried.

If you open Device Manager and check under Network Adapters you should only see one functional network card. When you have an integrated network card on the motherboard you need to be sure to "disable" it in the BIOS so that XP only detects the new add-on network card as working, not both. Your old card (i.e., network interface card or NIC) should have a red X on it indicating that it is disabled. If both NICs appear functional under Network Adapters in Device Manager then you need to disable the old card in your BIOS. After the integrated NIC is disabled the new NIC stands a better chance of working for you.

On the other hand, if you'd like to find drivers for the integrated NIC (assuming that it worked properly before you replaced the hard drive) then perhaps we can help with that. You can often find drivers for integrated NICs freely available from the motherboard manufacturer's website.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks! I haven't disabled it on the BIOS, but just under the device manager (has a red X).
    I'm not sure on this system how to even get to the BIOS setup. Tried several F1, F2, F8, F10, F12, got tired of rebooting...
    I would like to get the old NIC to work, but wasn't able to find anywhere that didn't make me scan my system (using the internet) for driver updates.
    The system says "ACPI Multimedia PC". It was put together by MicroCenter.

Lounger
    Thanks
    kzkz
    Your next step in figuring out how to access your bios could be to determine if the computer will tell you what kind of BIOS you have. Try clicking Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then clicking "System Information".
    When the SysInfo window opens look for a statement about "BIOS Version/Date".

While you have that same window open write down the System Manufacturer, System Model, and System Type for our future reference.

Why? Well, knowing the BIOS type will let us Google for information about what key to press to obtain access to the BIOS settings. And, knowing the system manufacturer will let us look for drivers at their web site.

I'll be signing off in a few moments so I may not be able to help again until tomorrow night but certainly there are others here who may help in the meantime.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Your motherboard manufacturer surely has drivers for all the included components. Identify the motherboard and get the drivers you need.

Thanks
    A really easy way to find the driver for your onboard NIC is to do a Windows Update. Get another NIC (e.g. a USB wireless NIC) just so you can get connected; run Windows Update; it will likely find and install the correct driver for the onboard NIC. Now you can unistall the USB wireless NIC.

I know you said that you didn't want anyone scanning your PC, but you're probably going to do Microsoft updates anyway.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'll work on that next. Thanks. I did install another NIC, but it wouldn't connect.
    I don't mind scanning my drive, my point was that I can't scan the drive without the internet working on it first.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    As an update, since I was crunched for time, I ended up taking it down the street to a local shop that I've used before. They only charged me $39 to diagnose, upgrade to SP3, download all MB drivers and get the onboard NIC to work. They simply said that I had both disabled, but that wasn't true. They also said that the SP2 which it had wouldn't allow further updates since it's not supported by MS any more. I really kinda doubt that because I have several SP2 XP's at work and continue to get updates and install fine. Anyway...they got it working fine and I returned the new NIC and it's been working great!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    You do need to get SP3 to get Windows updates: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322389