Lounger
    Thanks

How to get signal when gmail arrives

A while ago, I believe in 2012, there was an article about how to get a sound when gmail arrived. It provided an icon that sat on the lower toolbar and allowd me to directly access my gmail. I recently had a catastrophy, caused by the local Edison Company, that wiped out my Hard Drive and required the instalation of a new one. I have now retrieved everything, thanks to my external hard drive for back up, except that gmail icon. I can't find the article that describes how to do that. Can anyone direct me or tell me?

Thanks
    I think you are looking for a "gmail notifier". Google that and you will get a few. One is included as part of the Google toolbar, and there are others which are browser addins.

Jock

Lounger
    Thanks

Sounds when gmail arrives

Thank you for your speedy reply. I can't find "gmail notifier" in any of the tabs in "settings". Any suggestions?

Thanks
    The gmail notifier is available as a separately downloadable application here:
    http://toolbar.google.com/gmail-helper/notifier_windows.html

T
    hat will enable you to get notifications even if you don't have a browser running.

Alternatively, you can enable desktop notifications in gmail. When logged into gmail, click on the gear icon, then click on "settings" and a page of settings will appear, and in there you will find a link to enable desktop notifications. This will enable notifications but only when you have the browser running.

I suspect the standalone gmail notifier may be the app you were running in the past.

Jock

Lounger
    Thanks

gmail notifier

Thank you very much for all your input.
    Miv

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can not get gmail notifier to connect with gmail! The notifier was downloaded and installed. It is on the start menu. When I execute it and wait a few seconds, chrome puts up a screen saying that I have 10 minutes to make the connection to a new app, then it will be permanent. I am presented with a small window titled Windows Security which contains the following mangled sentence: "The server accounts.google.com at Please log in to your Google Account requires a username and password." Since no account is specified,and I have 4 gmail accounts, I tried logging in to all 4 with the same result- I always get presented with a small grey box at the bottom of my screen which says
    "An error has occurred
    Can not connect to your mailbox
    Service temporarily unavailable."
    Gmail is running properly, with 4 tabs open in Chrome. I also tried the same procedures with Chrome closed and got the same result. Also, same result after a reboot.

Any ideas on what's up with Google? Is this a beta not ready for prime time? Should I just give up on Google Notifier and try one of the alternate notifiers listed in this thread? Any ideas appreciated!
    Last edited by Bob Spafford; 2012-09-20 at 16:05.