Lounger
    Thanks

Finding a macro in Word 2010

How do I find a macro in Word 2010? I have a document that keeps warning me - every time I open the doc - that macros have been disabled. I did not (knowingly) create a macro. It must have been included in a copy-and-paste action. How do I get rid of this embedded macro? Any ideas?
    Leon

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon1 View Post
    How do I find a macro in Word 2010? I have a document that keeps warning me - every time I open the doc - that macros have been disabled. I did not (knowingly) create a macro. It must have been included in a copy-and-paste action. How do I get rid of this embedded macro? Any ideas?
    Leon
    Is the Developer tab visible on your Ribbon? Click on the Macros button and it should show you any macros that are available to run (technically, there might be some Private macros or macros taking parameters that are not visible, but this is the place to start).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jeremybarker For This Useful Post:

Leon1 (2012-09-27)

Thanks
    Leon,
    The default template (Normal.dotm) that comes with word has no macros. If you were to to start Word by clicking on its icon or through the start menu, you should not see the macro warning message bcause Word loads the default template. If you, however, open Word by clicking on a document that has a macro, you will see a macro warning because that document was created with a macro and saved by the author. As Jeremy stated, you can click on Macros through the developer tab and delete it if you do not need it. Alternatively, you can change your Security Settings so you do not get the alert (not recommended): File> Options> Trust Center> Trust Center Settings> Enable All Macros.

If you do not see the Developer Tab, you can add it: File> Options> Customize Ribbon> Move Developer to the right pane and make sure it is checked.

HTH,
    Maud
    Last edited by Maudibe; 2012-09-27 at 19:01. Reason: spelling

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Maudibe For This Useful Post:

Leon1 (2012-09-27)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only way you can get a Macro through "Copy and Paste" is if it is attached to a form control. You can see the Visual Basic component of Word as mentioned above, or by simply holding down the Alt key and pressing the F11 key while in Word.
    If you've imported a combo box or other such control you should right click it, and select Properties to see what macros are attached, if any.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BigMac56 For This Useful Post:

Leon1 (2012-09-27)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. Still don't know what happened. I copied all text and pasted it in a new document. Problem solved! Let's leave it at that.